Can toothpicks and wood glue mimic real bridge designs for a school project?

In summary, the bridges do not require a road deck. The instructor adds weights to an area near the center of the span until the structure collapses. There are web pages that discuss this in detail.
technoweasel
I have a question about bridges. I am not sure if this is the right place, since everyone else is discussing more advanced things, but I couldn't find anything (I did try to search). If this post is out of place just please redirect me.

For school I need to design and then build a bridge to connect 2 supports that are about a foot apart, using only toothpicks and wood glue. My question is this: Would designs for real bridges work in this situation, even though the force will only be applied to a point in the center of the structure? I have read a bit about the parabola and catenary in calculus books, but would a curve be best in this situation? If a cable supporting a uniform weight (along the x axis) makes a parabola, and it can be inverted to create an arch with the forces reversed, then can a cable supporting a single weight that pulls it down in a V shape be reversed to make an optimal arch for this application?

What is wrong with my reasoning? I haven't been through physics in school yet, so I might not even be asking the right questions. Please help me by explaining what is going on or redirecting me to some good online resource.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, real bridges would work in this situation. An arch would perhaps be optimal, but an inverted V would work well, also. Your reasoning sounds correct.

The ''best'' curve depends on that how force is applied to the bridge. The bridge form should mirror bending moment diagram. For point force in middle it would be shape of a pyramid, for distributed force it is an arch.

Makes sense. I currently agree with the post by archis now, which matches the concept posted by technoweasel. And by the way, technoweasel, it doesn't really matter if the V is upright (below the bridge) or inverted.

You're right, nvn.

Thanks, guys. If I wasn't clear, the "bridges" do not require a road deck, and the instructor adds weights to an area near the center of the span until the structure collapses. Are there any web pages that discuss this in detail? I might use a curve anyway because I have to do a report and it would be much more interesting to write about curves and their derivation. However, I guess I could write about the caterary and parabola and why I decided NOT to use them. I will continue researching.

1. How do you determine the best design for a toothpick bridge?

The best design for a toothpick bridge depends on various factors such as the length of the bridge, the number of toothpicks used, and the type of load it needs to support. Generally, triangular truss designs are considered the strongest and most stable for toothpick bridges.

2. What materials are needed for building a toothpick bridge?

Apart from toothpicks, you will also need glue, a ruler, and a cutting tool such as scissors or a craft knife. Optional materials include a base or foundation for the bridge and additional support structures like columns or beams.

3. How do you ensure the stability and strength of a toothpick bridge?

To ensure the stability and strength of a toothpick bridge, it is important to evenly distribute the weight and load across the entire structure. This can be achieved by using a symmetrical design and making sure that all toothpicks are securely glued together.

4. How do you test the strength of a toothpick bridge?

The strength of a toothpick bridge can be tested by gradually adding weight to the bridge until it collapses. This can be done by placing weights on top of the bridge or by suspending weights from the bottom of the bridge. The weight at which the bridge fails is an indicator of its strength.

5. Are there any tips for building a successful toothpick bridge?

Some tips for building a successful toothpick bridge include using a strong and stable base, using triangles in the design, and evenly distributing the weight and load across the structure. It is also important to use a sufficient amount of glue and to let it dry completely before testing the bridge's strength.