What are the subgroups of D12 and how can they be proven to be isomorphic to Dm?

In summary: Thanks again!In summary, the conversation discusses two questions involving group theory. The first question asks about proving that every non-commutative subgroup of the dihedral group Dn is isomorphic to Dm for some m. The second question asks about finding the center of a group of matrices with a specific form. After some discussion, it is determined that the elements of the center are of the form Z = I + [0 0 y; 0 0 0; 0 0 0], where y is an integer.
TheForumLord

Homework Statement

1. Let Dn be the dihedral group of order 2n, n>2 .
A. Prove that each non-commutative sub-group of Dn isomorphic to Dm for some m.
B. Who are all the non-commutative subgroups of D12?

2. Let G be the group of all the matrices from the form:
1 a c
0 1 b
0 0 1

where a,b,c are in Z and the binary action is matrix multiplication.
What is the center of this group?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'll be glad to receive some guidance in these two questions... All the ways I can think about are very not elegant ... There are probably some elegant ways out there...

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you learned about generators yet?
Because that is how I would handle this question (every subgroup of Dn is generated by some set of elements from Dn).

For the second question, let A be an arbitrary matrix and Z an element from the center. Then you can write
[tex]A = I + \begin{pmatrix} 0 & a & b \\ 0 & 0 & c \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]
and
[tex]Z = I + \begin{pmatrix} 0 & x & y \\ 0 & 0 & z \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]
where I is the 3 x 3 identity matrix. Now it should be true that AZ = ZA for all values of a, b and c in Z.

Well, let's see:
If we'll define :
[tex] D_{n} = ( 1, s , s^{2} ,..., s^{n-1} , a, sa, s^{2}a ,..., s^{n-1}a ) [/tex]
Then the generators of Dn are a and s (where s is a rotation, a = symmetry ) ... How can we continue from here?

About the second one:
According to your guidace, we only need to figure out for which x,y,z:
[tex] \begin{pmatrix} 0 & a & b \\ 0 & 0 & c \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{pmatrix}*\begin{pmatrix} 0 & x & y \\ 0 & 0 & z \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} 0 & x & y \\ 0 & 0 & z \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{pmatrix} * \begin{pmatrix} 0 & a & b \\ 0 & 0 & c \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{pmatrix} [/tex]

Hence:
[tex] \begin{pmatrix} 0 & 0 & xc \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} 0 & 0 & az \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{pmatrix} [/tex]

Which implies: xc=az ... We can't find any further conditions on x,y,z and I really don't think that the condition "xc=az" is all we need...

Hope you'll be able to give me some furhter help

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
For the matrix question:

What you did is you found out that if xc=az then the matrices commute. But that's not what the question is asking.

We're trying to find the elements that commute with -every- other element. For example the identity matrix commutes with every element. Are there any other ones? It should be quite easy, you've already done most of the work.

Well... We've found a condition for x and z ... But we can show that for different choices for a,c - A and Z won't commute...
Hence - > x=z=0 and y can be defined to be any integer...Hence- all of the elements in the center are from the form:
[tex] Z = I + \begin{pmatrix} 0 & 0 & y \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{pmatrix} [/tex] where y is an integer... Am I right in this one?

Thanks

yep that's right.

Thanks a lot!

You have any idea about the first one?

1. What is an abstract dihedral group?

An abstract dihedral group is a mathematical concept that represents the symmetries of a regular polygon. It is a type of group that consists of rotations and reflections of the polygon, and can be described using a set of abstract symbols and operations.

2. How is an abstract dihedral group different from a concrete dihedral group?

A concrete dihedral group is a specific example of an abstract dihedral group, where the polygon and its symmetries are given concrete names and values. An abstract dihedral group, on the other hand, is a general concept that can be applied to any regular polygon, without specifying its exact properties or values.

3. What are the elements of an abstract dihedral group?

The elements of an abstract dihedral group are the rotations and reflections of the regular polygon. They can be represented using abstract symbols, such as r for a rotation and s for a reflection, and can be combined using mathematical operations such as multiplication.

4. How many elements does an abstract dihedral group have?

The number of elements in an abstract dihedral group is determined by the number of symmetries of the regular polygon. For example, a square has 8 symmetries, so its abstract dihedral group would have 8 elements. In general, an abstract dihedral group has 2n elements, where n is the number of sides of the regular polygon.

5. What are some real-world applications of abstract dihedral groups?

Abstract dihedral groups have various applications in mathematics, physics, and computer science. They are used to study symmetries and patterns in geometry, to model molecular structures in chemistry, and to design algorithms in computer graphics. They can also be applied in cryptography and coding theory to secure and transmit information.