Magnetic susceptibility measurement

In summary, the conversation discusses the construction of three coils for a magnetic susceptibility measurement. The coils are wound on top of each other on a solenoid, with the reference and measurement coils in a Maxwell's inductance bridge. The formula B=u0NI/L is being used to determine the number of turns needed, but there is uncertainty about the correct formula to use. The speaker is seeking clarification and help with the equations.
geetika
Hi,

I have to make a coil.I do not know anything about its dimensions but know that it is to be used to measure magnetic field,its actually to be used in a magnetic susceptibility measurement.There are 3 coils, drive, excitation, measurement and I/p is given at 1000hz frequency.
I need to know the No. of turns ?Please suggest!"

Engineering news on Phys.org
Coils

I have to wind 3 coils,The transmitter/drive/excitation and the reference coils are wound one over the other on the solenoid and the receiver/measurement is 40cm down this.Ref and msmt coils are in the maxwell's inductance bridge.In order to consider the number of turns(N),initially when I am just driving the DRIVE/EXCITATION/transmitter COIL, do I still need to consider the number of turns of the Reference coil- although the ref. coil is not electrically connected to drive coil circuitry.But it is just that the transmitter/drive coil and the ref are wound one over the other.I am considering the formula B=u0NI/L: B=35000nT(I have to get).U0=4*3.14*10^-7, N=I need to find,I= Current in the COIL and L= Length is the linear length of solenoid over which the coil is wound.Is this formula, that I m using correct? or Should I use,B=u0NI/A or B=U0NIA.I need your help.I am not sure about the last two formulas.In the first I am NOT SURE is it the LINEAR LENGTH or the 2piR

Last edited:

geetika said:
I have to wind 3 coils,The transmitter/drive/excitation and the reference coils are wound one over the other on the solenoid and the receiver/measurement is 40cm down this.Ref and msmt coils are in the maxwell's inductance bridge.In order to consider the number of turns(N),initially when I am just driving the DRIVE/EXCITATION/transmitter COIL, do I still need to consider the number of turns of the Reference coil- although the ref. coil is not electrically connected to drive coil circuitry.But it is just that the transmitter/drive coil and the ref are wound one over the other.I am considering the formula B=u0NI/L: B=35000nT(I have to get).U0=4*3.14*10^-7, N=I need to find,I= Current in the COIL and L= Length is the linear length of solenoid over which the coil is wound.Is this formula, that I m using correct? or Should I use,B=u0NI/A or B=U0NIA.I need your help.I am not sure about the last two formulas.In the first I am NOT SURE is it the LINEAR LENGTH or the 2piR

Well, if you are not sure about the equations, where are you getting them from? Do the dimensions work out? The dimensional check should show you which equation is more likely to be correct...

1. What is magnetic susceptibility measurement?

Magnetic susceptibility measurement is a scientific technique used to determine the extent to which a material can be magnetized in the presence of an external magnetic field. It is a measure of how easily a material can be magnetized.

2. How is magnetic susceptibility measurement performed?

Magnetic susceptibility measurement is typically performed using a device called a susceptometer, which applies a magnetic field to a sample and measures its response. The sample is usually placed in a coil and the induced magnetic field is measured using a sensitive detector.

3. What factors affect magnetic susceptibility?

The magnetic susceptibility of a material can be affected by a variety of factors, including its chemical composition, crystalline structure, temperature, and the strength of the applied magnetic field. Additionally, the presence of impurities or defects in the material can also affect its magnetic susceptibility.

4. Why is magnetic susceptibility measurement important?

Magnetic susceptibility measurement is important in many fields of science, including geology, materials science, and environmental science. It allows researchers to characterize the magnetic properties of different materials and understand their behavior in various environments. This information can be used in a wide range of applications, such as mineral exploration, pollution monitoring, and magnetic data storage.

5. How can magnetic susceptibility measurements be used to identify minerals?

Minerals have unique magnetic susceptibility values that can be used to identify them. By measuring the magnetic susceptibility of a mineral sample and comparing it to known values, scientists can determine the mineral's identity. This is particularly useful in geology and mineral exploration, where it can help identify potential resource deposits.