After Physics B.S., looking to change directions

In summary, the individual is currently obtaining a B.S. in Physics but is considering switching to a graduate program in E.E. or C.C.S.E. They are unsure of the best path to take and are considering either going directly into a graduate program or obtaining another undergraduate degree in E.E. and possibly Comp. Sci. They are concerned about missing important knowledge and skills and are wondering if obtaining multiple undergraduate degrees is necessary. They also discuss their initial reasons for choosing a physics degree and question the advice they have received from their physics professors. In conclusion, the individual is seeking advice on the best course of action for their future career in engineering.
dydxforsn
I'm obtaining a B.S. in Physics, but I'm thinking now that physics graduate school might not be the right thing for me. I'm interested in E.E. or computer controlled systems engineering, but I'm not sure how to correctly go about the change. Would I be capable of going directly into a graduate (M.S.) program in E.E. or C.C.S.E.? I'm the kind of person that seeks completeness and thorough understandings of material, in other words, I don't want the feeling when I'm in graduate school that I'm constantly missing something or have too many holes in my engineering knowledge. Is this something that would be expected for someone that transfers from physics to graduate engineering? The other option is just to get another undergraduate degree in E.E. I know graduate degrees put you in a completely different price bracket coming out of school though (not that I'm after money though), and I'm not sure how much dual majoring (I guess it would be) would help me obtain jobs, but more importantly, obtain the skills necessary to be a competent employee at said job :/

Anyway, I'm wondering what people would do in my shoes. Is it worth it to seek out additional undergrad degrees or go for a graduate degree in this case? Would obtaining a E.E. (and also a Comp. Sci. degree while I'm at it.. <<) undergraduate degree in addition to physics be a good idea? I really don't ever hear about people obtaining 2/3 undergraduate degrees so I'm skeptical. However, I feel gaining the comp. sci. and E.E. knowledge is necessary for what kind of activities I think I'd like most in a job.

I got the physics degree because I felt it was necessary to understand the world and know which direction I thus would want to take. It makes a great degree for people undecided going into college but know they want to do something scientific. That and I selfishly just wanted to learn about physics with no goal in mind.. <<

Physics news on Phys.org
dydxforsn said:
Would I be capable of going directly into a graduate (M.S.) program in E.E. or C.C.S.E.? <<
Yes, I've seen other people do it with relative ease. They usually report that the math was easier than what they experienced in the physics curriculum and they were able to catch up with the engineering knowledge.
dydxforsn said:
Is this something that would be expected for someone that transfers from physics to graduate engineering?
I think more people do it than you maybe realize. Even physics grad students sometimes work in other deparments like material science, etc.
dydxforsn said:
I know graduate degrees put you in a completely different price bracket coming out of school though (not that I'm after money though), and I'm not sure how much dual majoring (I guess it would be) would help me obtain jobs
This is a little speculative, but I am almost positive that a BS + MS is more marketable and offers more opportunities than 2 BSs. Also, you may become about the money when you start getting tired of working so hard and you see your high school fiends start having babies and buying houses... or not maybe that's just me :shy:.
dydxforsn said:
but more importantly, obtain the skills necessary to be a competent employee at said job :/
If you go to grad school, the graduate school will likely pay you tuition (I can only speak to US grad school). In this case, you'll be able to take undergrad courses to fill the gaps for free. I've taken a number of undergrad courses to fill perceived gaps in my undergrad education. So, I don't think two BSs is necessary for a solid education.
dydxforsn said:
Anyway, I'm wondering what people would do in my shoes.
If you're early in your undergrad and there is significant overlap in the majors, I would consider double majoring. If it will take you more than 5 yrs to graduate, I would go to grad school, maybe pick up a minor if you want. Again, there are so many factor, but you asked what I would do, and this is what I would do.
I was kind of in the same boat when I graduated. I wish I would have investigated the other possibilities more, I should have applied to non-physics grad programs and visited the departments, asked more questions etc. This may sound bad, but I would question your physics professors' advice. They always gave me great advice, but never anything other than how to get a physics phd.
Physics is a good place to start for a lot of paths, and there are many other departments that are happy to take physics students for their quantitative backgrounds. It is my opinion that you shouldn't be worried at all to finish a physics BS and then continue on to an MS in another field.

I would simply choose a Ms degree in EE and carefully choose the courses. If you need some basic stuff that you perceive as missing you can follow some undergraduate courses.

What career options are available after obtaining a Physics B.S. degree?

There are a variety of career options available for individuals with a Physics B.S. degree. Some common options include research and development, engineering, data analysis, teaching, and finance. You can also pursue further education in fields such as astrophysics, biophysics, or medical physics.

What skills and knowledge can I gain from a Physics B.S. degree?

A Physics B.S. degree provides a strong foundation in mathematics, problem-solving, critical thinking, and data analysis. You will also gain knowledge in areas such as mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics. These skills and knowledge are highly transferable and can be applied to a variety of industries.

How can I transition into a different career path after obtaining a Physics B.S. degree?

Transitioning into a different career path after obtaining a Physics B.S. degree may require additional education, training, or experience. You can also utilize your transferable skills and knowledge to showcase your adaptability and versatility to potential employers. Networking and seeking out informational interviews can also help you explore different career options and make connections in your desired field.

What are some common industries that hire individuals with a Physics B.S. degree?

Some common industries that hire individuals with a Physics B.S. degree include aerospace, defense, energy, healthcare, technology, and finance. However, many other industries value the problem-solving and analytical skills that come with a Physics B.S. degree, so it is important to research and explore various options to find the best fit for you.

What resources are available to help me transition into a different career after obtaining a Physics B.S. degree?

There are various resources available to help you transition into a different career after obtaining a Physics B.S. degree. Your university's career center may offer career counseling, resume and cover letter assistance, and job search resources. You can also join professional organizations and attend networking events to connect with individuals in your desired industry. Additionally, online job boards and career websites can provide valuable job search resources and information about different industries.