Can a Mechanical Engineer help society?

In summary: Thanks for the info =). I really would like to specialize in that Area.Also nuclear engineering is a good choice for 'clean' energy. Even if you dislike fission, you can take a research route and work fusion -- just be prepared for a long, arduous journey to that Ph.D.Aerospace could let you work on wind turbines, and probably hydroelectric/tidal plants if you sell yourself as someone who can model fluid flow.Electrical let's you build photovoltaic cells, and also work on electric engines.The point, of course, is that you have a wide variety of engineering sub
AlexES16
Can a Mechanical Engineer help society??

I really much into in how science and technology, math and physics can help society in a practical way(i don't mean that theoretical dosent do any good so don't come with that). Some times i feel science is used just to make unnecesary needs for people. Personally if my country wouldn't be that violent i could walk to school with no problem, without using a car, but i know that ambulances are very necessary, and a lot of things like that. Well i wana work with renowable energy, and how we generate the electricity that we use every day. So can a degree in Mechanical Engineering help me with that?

Physics news on Phys.org

Perhaps a degree in electrical engineering would suit you better.

AlexES16 said:
I really much into in how science and technology, math and physics can help society in a practical way(i don't mean that theoretical dosent do any good so don't come with that). Some times i feel science is used just to make unnecesary needs for people. Personally if my country wouldn't be that violent i could walk to school with no problem, without using a car, but i know that ambulances are very necessary, and a lot of things like that. Well i wana work with renowable energy, and how we generate the electricity that we use every day. So can a degree in Mechanical Engineering help me with that?

Definitely. Power generation is really mechanical engineering territory. When I hear the words "power generation," electrical engineering is not the first thought that follows.

Also nuclear engineering is a good choice for 'clean' energy. Even if you dislike fission, you can take a research route and work fusion -- just be prepared for a long, arduous journey to that Ph.D.

Aerospace could let you work on wind turbines, and probably hydroelectric/tidal plants if you sell yourself as someone who can model fluid flow.

Electrical let's you build photovoltaic cells, and also work on electric engines.

The point, of course, is that you have a wide variety of engineering subdisciplines to choose from... and yes, mechanical is among them.

Saladsamurai said:
Definitely. Power generation is really mechanical engineering territory. When I hear the words "power generation," electrical engineering is not the first thought that follows.

Thanks for the info =). I really would like to specialize in that Area.

Angry Citizen said:
Also nuclear engineering is a good choice for 'clean' energy. Even if you dislike fission, you can take a research route and work fusion -- just be prepared for a long, arduous journey to that Ph.D.

Aerospace could let you work on wind turbines, and probably hydroelectric/tidal plants if you sell yourself as someone who can model fluid flow.

Electrical let's you build photovoltaic cells, and also work on electric engines.

The point, of course, is that you have a wide variety of engineering subdisciplines to choose from... and yes, mechanical is among them.

Well that maybe for Europe, China, USA, Russia, but i live in a 3rd world country(El Salvador)
So there is no nuclear engineering here, and we we are not planing in building nuclear stations, and not even think about fusion. Also no aerospace here. Maybe the the combo avaible for me is electro/mechanical.

Also is really fusion possible?¿

It is usually the goal of engineering to do something useful. Engineering is afterall - applied physics.

AlexES16 said:
Well that maybe for Europe, China, USA, Russia, but i live in a 3rd world country(El Salvador)
So there is no nuclear engineering here, and we we are not planing in building nuclear stations, and not even think about fusion. Also no aerospace here. Maybe the the combo avaible for me is electro/mechanical.
One might consider then Brasil, Argentina or Chile. Brasil and Argentina both have nuclear energy programs.

Astronuc said:
It is usually the goal of engineering to do something useful. Engineering is afterall - applied physics.

Thats totally great, specially in this time with global warming, pollution, overpopulation.

Also is really fusion possible?¿

Yes, but the reason it's an active area of research is because we haven't yet made it economical. I haven't kept up on the latest fusion developments, but I believe we still have to put more energy into sustaining the reaction than we get from the energy released by the reaction.

It's a shame you live in a 3rd world country; perhaps you should consider programs in other countries such as the United States or the European Union?

Saladsamurai said:

That is a bit of a misleading statement, although I agree that mention of "power generation" does evoke "mechanical" thoughts. Any future work, in the field of renewable energy, is going to require equal efforts in both the mechanical and electrical engineering domains. Sure, there are many past applications where the power generation, delivery and usage are completely mechanical, but that has now changed. Now there are some applications (e.g. solar to the electrical grid) where the power generation, storage, delivery and usage are completely electrical, and most real world systems and applications require both mechanical and electrical systems.

Also, nuclear energy is extremely important too, but I say less about that since it is not my area of expertise.

I think a person can enter this area of renewable energy with either a mechanical or electrical engineering degree, but either way, knowledge and expertise is required in both areas. Fortunately, anyone who can learn one subject, should have no trouble learning the other. The fundamentals tools of math and science are very similar in each area.

AlexES16 said:

Absolutely.

Engineering is not as narrow as some seem to think. A mechanical engineering degree is a flexible degree and you can work in any number of fields, including power generation.

I knew an aeronautical engineer who held a very responsible position at an oil refinery, usually a bastion of chemical engineers.

So, keep your interests and education broad and you can do just about anything that you want to do.

Last edited:

DrRocket said:
Absolutely.

Engineering is not as narrow as some seem to think. A mechanical engineering degree is a flexible degree and you can work in any number of fields, including power generation.

I knew an aeronautical engineer who held a very responsible position at an oil refinery, usually a basation of chemical engineers.

So, keep your interests and education broad and you can do just about anything that you want to do.

Thanks a lot

stevenb said:
That is a bit of a misleading statement, although I agree that mention of "power generation" does evoke "mechanical" thoughts. Any future work, in the field of renewable energy, is going to require equal efforts in both the mechanical and electrical engineering domains. Sure, there are many past applications where the power generation, delivery and usage are completely mechanical, but that has now changed. Now there are some applications (e.g. solar to the electrical grid) where the power generation, storage, delivery and usage are completely electrical, and most real world systems and applications require both mechanical and electrical systems.

Also, nuclear energy is extremely important too, but I say less about that since it is not my area of expertise.

I think a person can enter this area of renewable energy with either a mechanical or electrical engineering degree, but either way, knowledge and expertise is required in both areas. Fortunately, anyone who can learn one subject, should have no trouble learning the other. The fundamentals tools of math and science are very similar in each area.

Should i go for ME and EE?

Angry Citizen said:
Yes, but the reason it's an active area of research is because we haven't yet made it economical. I haven't kept up on the latest fusion developments, but I believe we still have to put more energy into sustaining the reaction than we get from the energy released by the reaction.

It's a shame you live in a 3rd world country; perhaps you should consider programs in other countries such as the United States or the European Union?

Well i plan to study in my country the bachelor degree and then look for a Phd or Master in other country, and the best ones are USA and EU. I also want to become a skilled labor migrant, don't want to go to live in another country wihtouth helping it.

Astronuc said:
One might consider then Brasil, Argentina or Chile. Brasil and Argentina both have nuclear energy programs.

Yeah they are the more advanced in LA.

AlexES16 said:
Should i go for ME and EE?

That is too much of a personal choice for me to say one way or the other. As crazy as this may sound, I see more similarities than differences between the two fields. As an electrical engineer, I'm required to understand mechanical engineering issues all the time. Thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, ordinary dynamics and acoustics are all things I've studied in school and needed to understand in my job. The reason why I say there are more similarities than might at first be obvious is because the mathematics is essentially the same in both fields. For example, when I learned fluid dynamics, which requires vector calculus and understanding of fields, it was easy because I had already learned electro-magnetics, which required the same. I had already paid my dues, so to speak. I think the same (in reverse) would be true for a mechanical engineer.

There is of course much to learn in any chosen field that goes beyond the basics. However, the bottom line is that a college BS degree in engineering only provides you with the fundamentals. You will build up your real expertise throughout your life after that, whether it be on the job and/or in grad school.

My usual recommendation in these situations is to tell people to follow their passion. You should know in your heart which path is correct for you. You really don't know exactly where either path will lead anyway, since the end-goal is too far down the field. Best to choose the path that will keep you motivated, and excited to keep running, and you will need to run hard at times.

If you really are finding the choice too close to call, then very well, I say go for EE. But, I only say that because I'm biased as an EE.

stevenb said:
That is too much of a personal choice for me to say one way or the other. As crazy as this may sound, I see more similarities than differences between the two fields. As an electrical engineer, I'm required to understand mechanical engineering issues all the time. Thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, ordinary dynamics and acoustics are all things I've studied in school and needed to understand in my job. The reason why I say there are more similarities than might at first be obvious is because the mathematics is essentially the same in both fields. For example, when I learned fluid dynamics, which requires vector calculus and understanding of fields, it was easy because I had already learned electro-magnetics, which required the same. I had already paid my dues, so to speak. I think the same (in reverse) would be true for a mechanical engineer.

There is of course much to learn in any chosen field that goes beyond the basics. However, the bottom line is that a college BS degree in engineering only provides you with the fundamentals. You will build up your real expertise throughout your life after that, whether it be on the job and/or in grad school.

My usual recommendation in these situations is to tell people to follow their passion. You should know in your heart which path is correct for you. You really don't know exactly where either path will lead anyway, since the end-goal is too far down the field. Best to choose the path that will keep you motivated, and excited to keep running, and you will need to run hard at times.

If you really are finding the choice too close to call, then very well, I say go for EE. But, I only say that because I'm biased as an EE.

Thanks for taking your time and helping choose the career path. The thing is that i want to work with renewable energy and be able to make a solar car or build a Electric vehicle.

Keep in mind that no matter which engineering path you choose, the first 2 years (approximately) of ANY engineering curriculum will be essentially the same. So you have plenty of time to choose or change your mind. But use that time wisely: talk to as many people as you can from each different field; talk to professors in each field to see what they are researching and see what interests you; join clubs if possible so you can associate with people from different walks of engineering.

Also, the internet is your friend! Frequently visit the different engineering forums here at PF and see what people are talking about in there. Go to university websites and visit the webpages of the different departments to see what they are working on. And keep asking questions. You will get many answers from many people; some you will like, some you will not like, but take all of the answers into consideration.

Good Luck :smile:
~Casey

Saladsamurai said:
Keep in mind that no matter which engineering path you choose, the first 2 years (approximately) of ANY engineering curriculum will be essentially the same. So you have plenty of time to choose or change your mind. But use that time wisely: talk to as many people as you can from each different field; talk to professors in each field to see what they are researching and see what interests you; join clubs if possible so you can associate with people from different walks of engineering.

Also, the internet is your friend! Frequently visit the different engineering forums here at PF and see what people are talking about in there. Go to university websites and visit the webpages of the different departments to see what they are working on. And keep asking questions. You will get many answers from many people; some you will like, some you will not like, but take all of the answers into consideration.

Good Luck :smile:
~Casey

Million thanks casey =)

Benefits in being ME and EE? Any ideas anyone?

Any worthwhile and well-engineered energy source will require input from all fields ranging from mechE to EE to materials and even civil engineering. Wind power for example, will require a mechE to design a turbine that maximizes the transfer of energy from wind falling on the turbines to mechanical power. Material scientist will see how to further maximize the output by minimizing turbine weight, for example, all the while keeping the material strong and durable enough for long long periods. EE will see how to convert the mechanical power to electrical power most efficiently and robustly. CivilE will tell you where to locate the turbines appropriately to allow most efficient use of wind power and how to install them in the best way. Same goes for any reasonably large scale energy source other than wind power. Of course, each field also has some largely specialized methods of its own but still it will never be exclusively a single field. So it depends on you, whatever you like to study. Also, as someone said before, you will have to study some parts of every one of these major specializations so, taking the above example further, you can in theory make a wind turbine all by yourself no matter what type of engineer you are since you will know all the basics but it won't be terribly efficient. I personally loved classical mechanics and dreaded electromagnetic or electronics theory or anything related to chemistry so it was an easy choice for me (undergrad mechE).

hearts_hacker said:
Any worthwhile and well-engineered energy source will require input from all fields ranging from mechE to EE to materials and even civil engineering. Wind power for example, will require a mechE to design a turbine that maximizes the transfer of energy from wind falling on the turbines to mechanical power. Material scientist will see how to further maximize the output by minimizing turbine weight, for example, all the while keeping the material strong and durable enough for long long periods. EE will see how to convert the mechanical power to electrical power most efficiently and robustly. CivilE will tell you where to locate the turbines appropriately to allow most efficient use of wind power and how to install them in the best way. Same goes for any reasonably large scale energy source other than wind power. Of course, each field also has some largely specialized methods of its own but still it will never be exclusively a single field. So it depends on you, whatever you like to study. Also, as someone said before, you will have to study some parts of every one of these major specializations so, taking the above example further, you can in theory make a wind turbine all by yourself no matter what type of engineer you are since you will know all the basics but it won't be terribly efficient. I personally loved classical mechanics and dreaded electromagnetic or electronics theory or anything related to chemistry so it was an easy choice for me (undergrad mechE).

Thanks a lot, you have the reason when you say about large scale energy stations.

stevenb said:

Hello, hey i think ill go for EE, any advice?

AlexES16 said:
Hello, hey i think ill go for EE, any advice?

Just the obvious: study hard at times and have fun at other times!

I have a feeling you will do well on both counts.

1. Can mechanical engineers contribute to sustainable development?

Yes, mechanical engineers play a crucial role in creating sustainable solutions for society. They are responsible for designing and developing environmentally friendly products, as well as optimizing processes to reduce waste and energy consumption.

2. How do mechanical engineers help improve healthcare?

Mechanical engineers contribute to healthcare by designing and developing medical devices, such as prosthetics, artificial organs, and diagnostic equipment. They also work on improving the efficiency and safety of healthcare facilities and equipment.

3. Can mechanical engineers help with disaster relief efforts?

Yes, mechanical engineers can assist with disaster relief efforts by designing and developing equipment and structures to aid in search and rescue operations, as well as providing clean water and shelter solutions for affected areas.

4. In what ways do mechanical engineers contribute to transportation systems?

Mechanical engineers are involved in the design and development of various modes of transportation, such as cars, trains, and planes. They also work on improving the efficiency and safety of these systems, as well as developing sustainable transportation solutions.

5. How can mechanical engineers address global challenges, such as climate change?

Mechanical engineers can help address global challenges by developing renewable energy technologies, such as wind turbines and solar panels, as well as improving energy efficiency in buildings and industries. They also work on developing sustainable materials and processes to reduce the impact on the environment.