Understanding Pulsed Beam Characteristics of Negative Ions

Expert SummarizerIn summary, when a negative ion beam of He- ions is pulsed with an electrostatic chopper, the beam current profile will change according to a normal distribution with a peak current that may be different from the initial beam current (I0). The beam energy (E) may also change due to the pulsing. To fully understand the new beam characteristics, more information about the chopper and its effects on the beam is needed. Generally, the peak current will decrease and the pulse width will increase, but the total charge of the beam should remain the same.
elduderino

Homework Statement

Problematic Part of the problem:

Consider a negative ion beam of He- ions. The given beam characteristics are the beam energy (E) and the beam current (I0).

An electrostatic chopper is placed on the beam line, which pulses the DC beam with a pulse width of say [tex]t_1[/tex] nanoseconds.

What are the new beam characterisitcs?

Homework Equations

Normal Distribution:
[tex]
f(x)= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi \sigma^2}} e^{-\frac{t^2}{2\sigma^2}}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I would have said the new current profile would be, for an incident DC beam of beam current I0

[tex]I(t)=I_0\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi \sigma^2}} e^{-\frac{t^2}{2\sigma^2}}[/tex]

if the beam emerges from the chopper at t=0. Also, since the FWHM of the beam is given to be [tex]t_1[/tex] the standard deviation would be

[tex]\sigma=\frac{t_1}{2.354}[/tex]

(from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_width_at_half_maximum)

This seems pretty straightforward, however, this appears to be wrong because according to this, the peak current has changed, and become .046 times its initial value

[tex]I(0)=I_0 f(0) = 0.046 I_0[/tex] (where f(x) is the normal distribution)can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong.

I think I am not understanding the pulsing phenomenon.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your post. It seems that you have correctly identified the new current profile for the pulsed beam. However, the peak current may not necessarily be the same as the initial beam current (I0) due to losses in the chopper and other factors. It is also possible that the beam energy (E) may change due to the pulsing. To fully understand the new beam characteristics, we would need more information about the chopper and its effects on the beam.

In general, when a beam is pulsed, the peak current will decrease and the pulse width will increase due to the normal distribution of the beam. The total charge of the beam should remain the same, however, as long as there are no losses.

I hope this helps clarify the situation. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

1. What are negative ions?

Negative ions are electrically charged particles that have gained one or more electrons, giving them a net negative charge.

2. What are pulsed beams?

Pulsed beams are beams of particles or radiation that are emitted in short bursts or pulses rather than a continuous stream.

3. Why is understanding pulsed beam characteristics of negative ions important?

Understanding pulsed beam characteristics of negative ions is important for various applications such as in particle accelerators, ion implantation, and plasma processing. It allows for the optimization of beam parameters and the control of ion beam properties, resulting in more efficient and precise experiments or processes.

4. How are pulsed beam characteristics of negative ions studied?

There are various techniques used to study the pulsed beam characteristics of negative ions, including time-of-flight measurements, energy analyzers, and Faraday cups. These techniques measure properties such as the ion energy, charge, and current of the pulsed beam.

5. What factors affect the pulsed beam characteristics of negative ions?

The pulsed beam characteristics of negative ions can be affected by several factors, including the source of the ions, the acceleration voltage, the gas pressure in the beamline, and the extraction and focusing systems. The stability and reproducibility of the pulsed power supply and the vacuum conditions also play a significant role.