Need to go to school for research on chemical reactor design?

In summary, if you are interested in pursuing experimental, hands-on research in chemical reactor design, it would be beneficial to consider getting a graduate degree, taking relevant courses, or gaining practical experience through a job in the field.
chill_factor
I'm looking to do experimental, hands on research on chemical reactor design. Some possibly areas of interest include multiphase catalysis, interface chemistry in fluids and gas liquefaction. I'd like to avoid semiconductors and materials as my background in this area is minimal and I do not see success for myself in this area, and I want to avoid biology as I have some bad experiences while doing my biochemistry degree.

Would getting a graduate degree help in this aspect, or should I just try to get a job at an oil/gas company and learn on the job? There doesn't seem to be significant research on fluids or catalysis going on at my school's Chemical Engineering department, they're focused on materials, semiconductors, pharmaceuticals, environmental processes and drug delivery. My school's Chemistry department does significant research on catalysis theory but focus on lab-scale, and their interface chemistry is mostly in solids and materials.

My degree is in biochemistry. I have significant chemistry background but minimal engineering background (introduction to thermo, advanced thermo, going to take introduction to fluids).

Physics news on Phys.org
A graduate degree may be helpful in this area, as it would give you the appropriate knowledge and skills to tackle more complex research projects. You could also look into taking courses related to chemical reactor design at your school, or even enrolling in a specific program that focuses on chemical engineering. Additionally, you may want to consider getting a job at an oil/gas company, which would provide you with hands-on experience and knowledge in the field of chemical reactor design. This could help you to develop an understanding of the subject matter and the practical applications. Finally, you may consider taking some online courses or attending workshops related to chemical reactor design to further supplement your knowledge.

What is the purpose of going to school for research on chemical reactor design?

Going to school for research on chemical reactor design allows scientists to gain a strong foundation in the principles of chemistry and engineering, as well as develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and experimental skills. It also provides access to resources and equipment necessary for conducting research.

What kind of education is required to conduct research on chemical reactor design?

Typically, a minimum of a bachelor's degree in chemical engineering or a related field is required to conduct research on chemical reactor design. However, many researchers hold advanced degrees such as master's or doctoral degrees, which can provide a more in-depth understanding of the subject matter.

What are some common topics covered in a program for research on chemical reactor design?

Some common topics that may be covered in a program for research on chemical reactor design include reaction kinetics, thermodynamics, transport phenomena, process control, and design principles. Other areas of study may include computer-aided design, optimization, and safety considerations.

What kind of skills are necessary for research on chemical reactor design?

Some essential skills for conducting research on chemical reactor design include strong analytical and mathematical abilities, attention to detail, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills. Communication and teamwork skills are also important, as researchers often collaborate with others and present their findings to colleagues.

What career opportunities are available for those with a background in research on chemical reactor design?

Individuals with a background in research on chemical reactor design may pursue careers in industries such as pharmaceuticals, chemicals, energy, and materials, as well as in government and academia. Job titles may include chemical engineer, process engineer, research scientist, or university professor.