Working full-time and taking math and science courses at night

In summary, the speaker is a 27-year-old working 45-50 hours a week and attending community college at night. They have been successful in their precalculus and chemistry courses and are considering switching to engineering. They are concerned about balancing work and higher level math and engineering courses. Other forum members recommend trying it out and having a flexible job, but warn about the demands of higher level courses.
machie
I'm 27, work 45-50 hrs/week and attend community college at night. I'm just about finished with Precalc and Chem I and I've been acing every test and lab. I've gotten A's in every other class I've taken so far as well. It's going to take a very long time to finish even my A.S. in Chemistry, not to mention a B.S. at a university. I'm considering switching to engineering but a little hesitant because of how intensive and rigorous it will be. I've read a few posts about full-time workers considering engineering at night and the responses have varied. My question is, if I'm getting straight A's now in my math and science classes, is that enough to assume that I'll succeed in higher level maths and possibly engineering courses while working? I'm extremely motivated and I'm falling in love with the idea of being an engineer. I also don't want to kid myself.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
machie said:
My question is, if I'm getting straight A's now in my math and science classes, is that enough to assume that I'll succeed in higher level maths and possibly engineering courses while working?

No, that isn't enough to assume that you'll be a success at it. Hard work is obviously extremely important, and some people do find limits in what they can handle in work load and intellectually too but you'll never know which side you'll be on until you try. It is always a bit of a quandary when choosing a subject to study on a high level - you think you're interested in it so you want to give it a go, but are worried about potential pitfalls. Well, if you don't try - how much will you regret it?

I wouldn't say your age is a problem either, so don't worry about that.

I'm going to continue on the Chemistry track for now and see how I take to the Physics classes and Calc I, II and III. I'm excited about it and I know I would definitely regret it if I don't at least try, like you said. I'm pretty confident I'd be able to handle the Chemistry track and most of the classes can go towards the Engineering track as well. Thanks for the advice.

Hi Machie :)
I'm lower level undergrad also, but I just wanted to recommend some threads on here.

This one for engineering:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=15898

Also ZapperZ's "So you want to be a physicist" thread has some good advice you might be able to apply even though you want to be an engineer. I think as long as you're focused as you are and are willing to do whatever work it takes, you have a good chance at succeeding :) I'm in Calc I now and it wasn't as deadly as I thought it would be, but I found it is good to study a couple of chapters ahead (or even more). All the best to you! :biggrin:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=240792

machie said:
I'm going to continue on the Chemistry track for now and see how I take to the Physics classes and Calc I, II and III. I'm excited about it and I know I would definitely regret it if I don't at least try, like you said. I'm pretty confident I'd be able to handle the Chemistry track and most of the classes can go towards the Engineering track as well. Thanks for the advice.

That's a good plan - you really should at least try it to see how you like it. And like you said, the curricula are similar enough that you don't have to decide right away.

Btw, I worked and took classes part-time to get my degree, too. It's a long slog, hang in there and good luck!

Make sure you have a flexible job. Once you start at a university, at least at mine, their hours suck for full time workers. Next semester I am taking classes during a long lunch then back to school after work.

Plus, as I found out this semester, once you get into higher level courses, you need to spend more time with school work. 16 credit hours and 40 hours a week is killing me. I am so burnt out this time. Plus you don't get enough time to learn things in depth. I only manage do the homework and then learn it well enough to do well on the test.

Needless to say this can be fixed by taking less credit hours, which I am doing next semester. :)

Once you get ready to go to a 4 year school, I'd re-examine your schedule. Demands at a CC vs a University can be pretty different especially when all you have left to take are upper division classes.

What are the benefits of working full-time and taking math and science courses at night?

There are several benefits to working full-time and taking math and science courses at night. First, it allows individuals to gain valuable work experience while still pursuing their education. Additionally, taking courses at night can be more convenient for those who have other daytime commitments. It also allows individuals to balance their financial responsibilities while furthering their education.

Is it possible to balance a full-time job and taking math and science courses at night?

Yes, it is definitely possible to balance a full-time job and taking math and science courses at night. It may require good time management skills and dedication, but it is achievable. Many universities and colleges offer flexible course schedules to accommodate working professionals.

What are some tips for successfully managing a full-time job and taking math and science courses at night?

Some tips for successfully managing a full-time job and taking math and science courses at night include creating a schedule and sticking to it, prioritizing tasks, seeking support from friends and family, and asking for help when needed. It's also important to take breaks and make time for self-care to avoid burnout.

Are there any challenges that come with working full-time and taking math and science courses at night?

Yes, there can be some challenges when balancing a full-time job and taking math and science courses at night. These may include feeling tired and overwhelmed, having less time for social activities, and potentially having to make sacrifices in other areas of life. It's important to recognize these challenges and find ways to manage them effectively.

What are some potential career opportunities for individuals who work full-time and take math and science courses at night?

Individuals who work full-time and take math and science courses at night can have a wide range of career opportunities. Some possible options include working in fields such as engineering, data analysis, healthcare, finance, and research. These individuals may also have the opportunity to advance in their current career or pursue higher education in their field of interest.