How can I bin the polar angles of a unit sphere for non-equal bin widths?

In summary, the conversation discusses binning the unit sphere in order to achieve equal area within each bin. The first step involves binning the azimuthal angle with equal bin widths, followed by binning the polar angle with larger bin widths at the poles and smaller bin widths at the equator. The suggestion is to use equal spacing for the cosine of the polar angle. This is based on the surface area differential on a sphere, which is given by dA=sinφdφdθ. The conversation ends with the requester thanking the responder for their explanation.
susantha
hello,
I am trying to bin the unit sphere so that each bin has approximately equal area on the sphere. I hope binning the azimuthal angle (0...2*pi) to equal bin widths. Then i need to bin the polar angle(0...pi) so that at poles(angles close to 0 and pi) bin widths are large and close to equator(angles close to pi/2) the bin widths are small. I would appreciate any kind of help for binning the polar angles for non-equal bin widths.
Thanks in advance.
Susantha

Physics news on Phys.org
Use equal spacing for the cosine of the polar angle.

Last edited:
mathman said:
Use equal spacing for the cosine of the polar angle.

Could you please give little more explanation.
Thanks

It just comes from the fact that the surface area differential on a sphere is given by: dA=sinφdφdθ, where φ is the polar angle (0,π) and θ is the azimuthal angle (0,2π). Integrate dA over some range in φ results in the cosine difference.

Further explanation: Unit sphere - then the radius of a small circle at angle φ is sinφ. A circular strip of width dφ would have an area 2πsinφdφ.

Now i got it. Thank you very much for your reply.

1. What does it mean to "bin" a unit sphere?

Binning a unit sphere means dividing the surface of a unit sphere (a sphere with a radius of 1) into smaller, equal-sized regions or bins.

2. Why would someone want to bin a unit sphere?

Binning a unit sphere can be useful in various scientific and mathematical applications, such as data analysis, numerical integration, and computer graphics. It allows for easier handling and processing of data points on the surface of a sphere.

3. How is a unit sphere typically binned?

The most common method is to use a regular grid, where the surface of the unit sphere is divided into a specific number of equally sized cells, similar to a cube. Other methods include hierarchical or adaptive binning, which can be more efficient for certain types of data distribution.

4. What are some challenges in binning a unit sphere?

Binning a unit sphere can become difficult in higher dimensions, as the number of bins increases exponentially with the number of dimensions. Additionally, choosing the appropriate binning method and number of bins can greatly affect the accuracy and efficiency of the process.

5. Are there any real-world applications of binning a unit sphere?

Yes, binning a unit sphere has been used in various fields, such as climate modeling, astrophysics, and protein structure analysis. It can also be applied in computer graphics to create smooth and realistic 3D images.