Changes in AC Signal Frequency with Coupling Changes on Digital Oscilloscopes

In summary, changing the coupling from AC to DC on a digital storage oscilloscope may result in a change in the DC offset but the frequency of the AC signal should not be affected. However, this may vary depending on the specific type and model of the oscilloscope.
blade_090
im using digital storage oscilloscope to measure the frequency of ac signal
wat will happen to the frequency of ac signal if i change the coupling from ac to dc??
will there be any changes?
how to explain the changes?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know about digital oscilloscopes, but there isn't any change on a good analog oscilloscope. You know how in a Fourier Series there is an initial term? Well that term is your DC term, and a good oscilloscope should merely chop it off between AC and DC coupling. So the DC offset may change, obviously, but the frequency certainly shouldn't.

That's my general answer, but I think to properly answer this question you would have to post the signal wave type and the model of the scope, and I would have to do a lot of reading about the scope that I, honestly, probably wouldn't get around to doing. :)

What is a digital storage oscilloscope?

A digital storage oscilloscope (DSO) is an electronic device used to measure and analyze electronic signals. It displays the amplitude of a signal over time, allowing the user to see how the signal changes over time. Unlike traditional analog oscilloscopes, DSOs use digital methods to capture, store, and display signals, making them more accurate and versatile.

How does a digital storage oscilloscope work?

A DSO works by first converting the analog input signal into a digital signal using an analog-to-digital converter (ADC). The digital signal is then stored in the device's memory, where it can be manipulated and displayed on the screen. The user can control the timebase and voltage scale to view different aspects of the signal, and the DSO can also perform mathematical calculations and analysis on the stored data.

What are the advantages of using a digital storage oscilloscope?

DSOs have several advantages over traditional analog oscilloscopes. They have a higher bandwidth and faster sampling rates, allowing them to capture and display signals with higher frequencies. They also have a larger memory, allowing for longer periods of signal capture. DSOs also have advanced triggering capabilities and can perform complex mathematical analysis on the stored data.

What are some common applications of a digital storage oscilloscope?

DSOs are used in a wide range of industries, including electronics, telecommunications, and automotive. They are commonly used for troubleshooting and testing electronic circuits, analyzing and debugging digital signals, and measuring the performance of electronic devices and systems. They are also used in research and development, quality control, and education.

What features should I consider when choosing a digital storage oscilloscope?

When choosing a DSO, consider the bandwidth, sampling rate, memory depth, and number of channels. Also, look for advanced features such as triggering options, waveform math, and data analysis capabilities. Other factors to consider include the price, brand reputation, and customer reviews.