Can a Home-Made Turbine Engine Be Built on a Tight Budget Using Scrap Car Parts?

In summary, Chris, an aerospace engineering student, is seeking advice on building a jet engine using a turbo charger on a tight budget. He plans on using scrap car parts and salvaged pieces, and is looking for confirmation or alternative suggestions. Specifically, he is asking about the feasibility of using a power steering pump belt driven by a starter motor for the lubrication system. Other builders recommend looking at their past projects for ideas, and advise against using a starter motor for lubrication. Chris is considering a golf buggy or windscreen wiper motor for the job.
c.smith10
hi
this is my first post on here so please be gentle.
my names chris and I am an aerospace engineering student and i would like to build a jet engine based around a turbo charger, i know this concept isn't new but its something i would like to build. I am on a tight budget so i need to build some systems from scrap car parts and salvaged bits and pieces.
im hoping some people on here will be able to help confirm my ideas or suggest alternative,
first up is the lubrication system.
my plan is to use a power steering pump belt driven by a starter motor powered by a 12v car battery. does this sound feasible?

cheers, chris

Engineering news on Phys.org
Look around on the net at what other builders have done. See what has and hasn't worked for them. One thing I will advise you on is the starter motor for lube. That is way more motor than a lube pump needs. I would advise sticking to a motor that has a 100% duty cycle and you shouldn't count on that with a starter.

hi
thanks for the reply, going away from the starter motor I am thinking either a golf buggy motor(to much?) or a windscreen wiper motor(not enough?) i have read that a wiper motor will produce between 13 and 1 pound foot of torque, what do you think?

1. How does a homemade turbine engine work?

A homemade turbine engine works by using a series of blades and a combustion chamber to convert fuel into energy. The blades are connected to a shaft, which is connected to a compressor. The compressor draws in air and compresses it before it enters the combustion chamber. In the combustion chamber, fuel is ignited and the resulting hot gases expand and push against the blades, causing them to rotate and turn the shaft. This rotation is what produces the energy needed to power the engine.

2. What materials are needed to build a homemade turbine engine?

The materials needed to build a homemade turbine engine can vary, but typically include a compressor, combustion chamber, fuel injector, turbine blades, and a shaft. Other necessary materials may include high-temperature metals, such as stainless steel or titanium, as well as various tools and equipment for assembly. It is also important to have a good understanding of the principles of turbine engine design and operation.

3. How much power can a homemade turbine engine generate?

The power output of a homemade turbine engine can vary depending on the size and design of the engine. In general, a small, homemade turbine engine can produce several horsepower, while larger, more complex engines can produce much more power. The power output can also be affected by the type of fuel used and the efficiency of the engine's design.

4. Is it safe to build and operate a homemade turbine engine?

Building and operating a homemade turbine engine can be safe if proper precautions and safety measures are taken. It is important to have a good understanding of the design and operation of the engine, as well as adhere to all safety protocols and guidelines. It is also recommended to have a professional engineer review the design and provide guidance to ensure the engine is safe to operate.

5. Can a homemade turbine engine be used to power a vehicle?

Yes, a homemade turbine engine can potentially be used to power a vehicle. However, it is important to note that building and installing a homemade engine in a vehicle can be a complex and potentially dangerous task. It is recommended to consult with a professional engineer and follow all safety regulations and guidelines before attempting to use a homemade turbine engine to power a vehicle.