Undergraduate summer research situation

In summary: Your advisorIn summary, the student is considering two options for their non-grant based undergraduate research project: a medial difficulty project that would allow them to write a formal report by the end of the summer, or a high difficulty project that would involve extensive research and may not lead to a complete report. They are seeking advice on which project to choose, taking into consideration their long-term goals, available support and guidance, and potential outcomes. The advisor encourages the student to carefully consider these factors before making a decision.
zheng89120
I'll try to keep this brief.. So, I am donig a non-grant based undergraduate research project this summer at my university. One of my advisors gave me two options. One of the is medial difficulty (still not that easy), and the other one high difficulty (I would have to read up a large number of papers on the topic, some of them by the advisor who probably will not participating in co-authoring a report).

Right now, I'm thinking of doing the medial one, so I can write a formal report by the end of the summer. If I do the difficult type of project, I have to research many papers to see what I can do, and will unlikely to have enough time to publish a thorough formal report on original research. And that is assuming that I will be able put together the experimental apparatus itself (which involves confining non-fusing plasma with a set of Flux-Conserver magnets, and producing a current with another set of special magnets, but this has been done nonetheless).

I would learn a little more from the later, as it is more challenging and at a graduate level. The question I have is, should I do the undergrad. type project and have a complete report, or do the graduate-level type project and not have a thorough report. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear student,

First of all, congratulations on taking on an undergraduate research project this summer! It is a great opportunity to gain hands-on experience and learn more about a specific topic in your field.

In terms of your dilemma between a medial and high difficulty project, I would recommend considering a few factors before making a decision. Firstly, think about your long-term goals and how this research project may contribute to them. If you are interested in pursuing graduate studies in the future, the high difficulty project may provide you with valuable skills and knowledge that can strengthen your application.

Secondly, consider the level of support and guidance you will have for each project. The high difficulty project may require more independent research and effort, but if you have a mentor or advisor who is willing to guide you and provide resources, it may be worth pursuing.

Lastly, think about the potential outcomes of each project. While a complete report may be desirable, the high difficulty project may lead to a publication or conference presentation, which can also be valuable for your academic and professional development.

Ultimately, the decision should be based on your personal interests, goals, and the resources available to you. Whichever project you choose, make sure to approach it with dedication and enthusiasm, and remember that the process of research is just as important as the final outcome.

Best of luck with your project!

1. What is undergraduate summer research?

Undergraduate summer research refers to research opportunities for students pursuing a bachelor's degree during the summer months. It allows students to gain hands-on experience in their field of study and work on a research project under the guidance of a faculty mentor.

2. How do I find undergraduate summer research opportunities?

There are several ways to find undergraduate summer research opportunities. You can look for research programs offered by your university or other universities, reach out to faculty members for potential research projects, or search for internships or fellowships in your field of study.

3. What are the benefits of participating in undergraduate summer research?

Participating in undergraduate summer research can provide numerous benefits. It allows students to gain hands-on experience, develop research skills, network with professionals in their field, and potentially publish their work. It also looks impressive on resumes and can help with graduate school applications.

4. Is undergraduate summer research only for science majors?

No, undergraduate summer research opportunities are available for students in various fields, including science, engineering, humanities, and social sciences. Many universities offer research programs for students in all disciplines.

5. Can I get paid for participating in undergraduate summer research?

Yes, many undergraduate summer research programs provide stipends or salaries for students to cover their living expenses during the summer. Some programs also offer housing and travel allowances. However, some opportunities may be unpaid, so it is essential to do your research and inquire about compensation before applying.