Can you explain the 2nd law of thermodynamics using closed isolated systems?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of isolated open systems and how it relates to the second law of thermodynamics. It is acknowledged that the term "isolated open system" is contradictory and poorly chosen, but it ultimately refers to a system containing multiple interacting particles. The system is considered open because its chemical potentials are not constant, meaning that equilibrium must be discussed in terms of these potentials.
nouveau_riche
can someone give me an example of isolated open systems ,which can allow me to understand 2nd law of thermodynamics?,bcoz i don't think there's anything called open system and that too in isolation

Science news on Phys.org
What do you mean by an 'isolated open system'? The only meaning I've seen attached to 'open system' is that energy and material can be exchanged with its surroundings, which obviously means it isn't isolated...

I think you're right. To me, "isolated open system" is like saying "hot ice"; it's a contradiction. But what exactly don't you understand about the 2nd Law? If it's about the definition of entropy and what it is, you're definitely not the first to have questions.

The term is poorly chosen, but what it's referring to is an isolated system containing more than one species of particles that can interact and turn into one another. It's 'open' in the sense that the Nk's are not constant, and therefore to discuss equilibrium you need to talk about the chemical potentials.

Bill_K said:
The term is poorly chosen, but what it's referring to is an isolated system containing more than one species of particles that can interact and turn into one another. It's 'open' in the sense that the Nk's are not constant, and therefore to discuss equilibrium you need to talk about the chemical potentials.

sorry,typing error and thought mixing error,i mean close isolated systems

What is the Second Law of Thermodynamics?

The Second Law of Thermodynamics is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total entropy, or disorder, in a closed system will always increase over time. This means that energy will always tend to disperse and become less useful for doing work.

How does the Second Law of Thermodynamics relate to energy?

The Second Law of Thermodynamics is closely related to the concept of energy. It states that energy will always flow from hotter objects to colder objects, and that energy will always tend to spread out and become more evenly distributed. This is known as the principle of entropy.

What is an example of the Second Law of Thermodynamics in action?

An example of the Second Law of Thermodynamics in action is a hot cup of coffee left on a table. The energy from the hot coffee will eventually disperse into the surrounding air, causing the coffee to cool down and the air to warm up. This is an example of energy flowing from a hotter object (the coffee) to a colder object (the air).

Can the Second Law of Thermodynamics be violated?

No, the Second Law of Thermodynamics is a fundamental law of physics and cannot be violated. It is a natural consequence of the fact that energy tends to disperse and become less organized over time. However, there are some systems that may appear to violate this law, but they are actually operating in a way that follows the law on a larger scale.

How does the Second Law of Thermodynamics affect everyday life?

The Second Law of Thermodynamics has many practical applications in everyday life. It explains why objects cool down when left at room temperature, why it is impossible to create a completely efficient machine, and why aging and decay occur in living organisms. It also plays a crucial role in the fields of engineering, chemistry, and biology.