Finding unit tangent and unit normal vectors

In summary, the homework statement is that the graph shows the vector-valued function r(t). It is given that r(1) = <-1,1> and r'(1) = <1,2>. Find the unit tangent vector T(1) and unit normal vector N(1).
wyosteve

Homework Statement

The graph shows the vector-valued function r(t). It is given that r(1) = <-1,1> and r'(1) = <1,2>. Find the unit tangent vector T(1) and unit normal vector N(1).
(the graph given is that of y = x^2 shifted 2 units left.)

Homework Equations

(1) T(t) = r'(t)/||r'(t)||
(2) N(t) = T'(t)/||T'(t)||

The Attempt at a Solution

After playing around for a bit I found r(t) = <t-2,t^2> so r'(t) = <1,2t>

Using this in eq. (1) I get T(t) = <1,2t>/sqrt(1+4t^2).

T(t) = <1/sqrt(1+4t^2),2t/sqrt(1+4t^2)>

T(1) = <1/sqrt5,2sqrt5> (this vector I am fairly confident is correct)

T'(t) = <-4t/(4t^2+1)^(3/2),2/(4t^2+1)^(3/2)>

||T'(t)|| = sqrt((-4t/(4t^2+1)^(3/2))^2+(2/(4t^2+1)^(3/2))^2)

which reduces to sqrt(16t^2/(4t^2+1)^3+(4/(4t^2+1)^3))

Then using T'(t) and ||T'(t)|| in eq. (2) I get

N(t) = <-4t/(4t^2+1)^(3/2),2/(4t^2+1)^(3/2)>/sqrt(16t^2/(4t^2+1)^3+(4/(4t^2+1)^3)

N(1) = <-4/5^(3/2),2/5^(3/2)>/(4/25) or approx. <-2.236,1.118>

Drawing this vector on the graph it seems too big to be a unit vector. Can anyone spot any errors in my calculations? Am I even close? I feel like I may be making this harder then neccesary. Thanks in advance for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not needed to solve for arbitrary point of the curve. The point is given, and the tangent vector is r'(1) = <1,2> The normal vector is perpendicular to the tangent vector. Just make a vector <a,b> that is normal to <1,2>. What should be their scalar product?

ehild

As I thought I was making this more diffucult then needed. Ok the scalar product needs to equal zero for the two vectors to be perpendicular. So <a,b> . <1,2> = 0
a+2b = 0. Or since I am trying to find a unit vector should I be finding T(t) . N(t) = 0?
Which would be <a/sqrt5,2b/sqrt5> N(t) = <-2,1> N(1) = <-2/sqrt5,1/sqrt5>
Plotting this last vector it looks right.
Thanks for your help!

You are welcome.

ehild

wyosteve said:
As I thought I was making this more diffucult then needed. Ok the scalar product needs to equal zero for the two vectors to be perpendicular. So <a,b> . <1,2> = 0
a+2b = 0. Or since I am trying to find a unit vector should I be finding T(t) . N(t) = 0?
Which would be <a/sqrt5,2b/sqrt5> N(t) = <-2,1> N(1) = <-2/sqrt5,1/sqrt5>
Plotting this last vector it looks right.
Thanks for your help!

Solving for a normal by using the dot product like that gives two possibilities for the direction of the Normal, in your case <-2,1> or <2,-1> normalized both work. Usually, if you are looking for THE normal it would be understood to be the normal pointing towards the direction the curve is bending (the concavity). So you need to make sure you pick the right one.

LCKurtz is right, the unit normal vector to a curve in the plane x,y is defined so that the unit tangent vector T, the unit normal vector N and the unit vector along the z axis, ez define a right-handed coordinate system. Therefore N is obtained as the vector product N=ezxT. The vector product is perpendicular both to the z axis and to T, so it is also in the x,y plane, and normal to T, but it is unique unlike the one obtained from zero scalar product.
If T=(u,v,0) then N=(-v,u,0)

ehild

good points, thanks everyone for the help.

What is the purpose of finding unit tangent and unit normal vectors?

The purpose of finding unit tangent and unit normal vectors is to understand the direction and orientation of a curve or surface at a given point. These vectors can help determine the rate of change of a curve and can be used in various applications such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

How do you find the unit tangent vector of a curve?

The unit tangent vector of a curve can be found by taking the derivative of the curve and then dividing it by its magnitude. This will result in a vector that has a magnitude of 1 and points in the same direction as the original curve at the given point.

What is the relationship between unit tangent and unit normal vectors?

The unit tangent and unit normal vectors are perpendicular to each other at a given point on a curve or surface. This means that they form a right angle and can be used to describe the orientation of the curve or surface at that point.

Can unit tangent and unit normal vectors be used in three-dimensional space?

Yes, unit tangent and unit normal vectors can be used in three-dimensional space. In fact, they are often used in three-dimensional applications to describe the direction and orientation of curves and surfaces in space.

What is the significance of unit vectors in vector calculus?

Unit vectors are important in vector calculus because they have a magnitude of 1 and can be used to represent the direction and orientation of a vector. This makes it easier to perform calculations and understand the behavior of curves and surfaces in mathematical models.