What is the use of implicit differentiation in solving complex equations?

In summary: To help people!In summary, the conversation is about how to solve a problem in calculus where the derivative of a function with respect to a variable is not clear. The expert tells the student that they should differentiate everything and that the reason for this is that there is a mismatch between the variable and the derivative. The student then does a better job of differentiation and is able to solve the problem.
Physics news on Phys.org
There is only one way to treat this and that is via the chain rule, you know that [itex]y=y(x)[/itex] and so:
[tex]
\frac{d}{dx}=\frac{dy}{dx}\frac{d}{dy}
[/tex]
On a related note, you were wrong with your analysis because [itex]y=\pm\sqrt{1-x^{2}}[/itex].

Last edited:
No. Implicit means implied, but not plainly expressed. Implicit differentiation isn't going to be a function like y' = x, you're going to keep a y variable, otherwise it's explicit.

Think about this: If I ask for dy/dx, I'm asking for derivative of function y with respect to variable x. I can't find the dy/dx of 2y, because there is no variable x in 2y! That's why we implicitly differentiate.

First, let me give you a hand:

[itex]x^2+y^2=1[/itex]

First, find the dy/dx of [itex]x^2[/itex]. This has a variable of x, so it's just 2x.

Next, find dy/dx of [itex]y^2[/itex]. 2y, right. Well, we have no x variable. So, include y' in this derivative. In other words, 2y times y', or 2yy'. Whenever the variable we are deriving in respect to is absent, we must multiply by y'. (that's why we need to multiply the entire derivative by dr/dt in your related rates problem ;) )

Lastly, find dy/dx of 1. You know that the derivative of a constant is always 0.

So now,

[itex]2x + 2yy' = 0[/itex]

Do you understand how I came to that result?

Now, purely algebriacly, I want you to solve the equation for y'. Treat it as you would any variable.

I'll just add another reply, which may help.

Your differentiation of y2 should be:

[tex]\frac d {dx}(y^2) = 2y \frac {dy} {dx}[/tex]

This is the application of the chain rule.

If you replace this in your equation, you should be able to solve the problem.

I guess my mistake was not differentiating y^2, and that's because I thought that the notation means to differentiate only x. But, apparently, you differentiate everything! But I don't get one thingIn this [tex]\frac d {dx}(y^2) = 2y \frac {dy} {dx}[/tex]How come for the "y" expression you also have dy/dx, and for the x expression you don't?

Because y and x variables are not equals here. dy/dx means derivative with respect to variable x. We include dy/dx with 2y because we have no variable x in that term.

Just like if I asked dy/dx of 5t, 6q, 7u, or any other variable that was not x.

Or if I asked dy/du of 5x, 6t, or any other variable that was not u.

You have to include it when we have a "mismatched variable" to put it very informally. Chain rule shows this.

Last edited:
Because y and x are not equals here. dy/dx means derivative with respect to variable x. We include dy/dx with 2y because we have no variable x in that term.

That makes sense!

So could I say then that...

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/2134/vissm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Femme_physics said:
How come for the "y" expression you also have dy/dx, and for the x expression you don't?
You could look at it this way:[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(x^2) = 2x \frac{dx}{dx}[/tex]so it's the same as in the y case. But dx/dx=1, so you get[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(x^2) = 2x[/tex]

w00t! Thanks! :biggrin: The idea of starting with simple problem is a lot better I see :approve:

You guys rock for helping me! :smile:

It's why we're here.

What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the derivative of a function that is expressed implicitly, meaning it is not written explicitly in terms of a single independent variable.

When is implicit differentiation used?

Implicit differentiation is used when a function cannot be easily expressed as a function of a single variable, or when the equation is too complex to solve for the derivative directly.

How does implicit differentiation differ from explicit differentiation?

Explicit differentiation involves finding the derivative of a function that is written explicitly in terms of a single independent variable. Implicit differentiation involves finding the derivative of a function that is written implicitly in terms of multiple variables.

What are the steps for performing implicit differentiation?

The steps for implicit differentiation are as follows: 1) differentiate both sides of the equation with respect to the variable of interest, treating all other variables as constants, 2) use the chain rule when differentiating any terms containing the variable of interest, and 3) solve for the derivative.

What are some common applications of implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to model relationships between variables that cannot be easily expressed explicitly. It is also used in optimization problems and in finding the slope of a tangent line to a curve at a given point.