Rate of change of fish population.

In summary, the population of a species of fish after 5 years can be calculated using the equation P'(t) = -4.8x10^6(1+0.02t)^-3, where t is time in years. This equation takes into account the rate of change of the fish population and can be used to predict the future population of the species.
1irishman

Homework Statement

The population of a species of fish is given by the equation below. Where t is time in years. What is the rate of change of the fish population after 5 years?

Homework Equations

P(t)= 1.2 x 10^8(1+0.02t)^ -2 where t is time in years

The Attempt at a Solution

Before i go further i just want to know if i am setting it up right from the beginning, here is how i started:

P'(t) = 1.2x10^8(1/sqrt of 1+0.02t)
= 1.2x10^8/sqrt of 1+0.02t

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
that big sci fi constant in front of the brackets messes me up when i try to use the chain rule for some reason, did i do this right to start?
(-2)(1.2x10^8)(1+0.02t)^-3(0.02)

(-2)(1.2x108)(1+0.02t)-3(0.02) ?

yes, that's correct :smile:

okay, i think i might be doing the order wrong though from here, here is what i got next:

P'(t) = -2.4x10^8(0.02)(1+0.02t)^-3
= -4.8x10^6(1+0.02t)^-3 this doesn't look right to me somehow?

1irishman said:
this doesn't look right to me somehow?

why?? :confused:

1irishman said:
okay, i think i might be doing the order wrong though from here, here is what i got next:

P'(t) = -2.4x10^8(0.02)(1+0.02t)^-3
= -4.8x10^6(1+0.02t)^-3 this doesn't look right to me somehow?
Actually, i take that back as it appears when i plug the 5 years into the expression it works out to be the correct answer. so thank you all is well.

1. What is the rate of change of fish population?

The rate of change of fish population refers to the speed at which the number of fish in a particular area or ecosystem is changing over time. It is typically measured in terms of the increase or decrease in the number of fish per unit area over a specific period.

2. How is the rate of change of fish population calculated?

The rate of change of fish population can be calculated by taking the difference between the number of fish at the beginning and end of a given time period, and dividing it by the length of that time period. This will give you the average rate of change per unit time.

3. What factors can affect the rate of change of fish population?

The rate of change of fish population can be affected by a variety of factors, including fishing pressure, water temperature, food availability, pollution, and changes in habitat or ecosystem balance. These factors can either increase or decrease the rate of change of fish population.

4. Why is it important to monitor the rate of change of fish population?

Monitoring the rate of change of fish population is important for several reasons. It can help scientists and fisheries managers understand the health of a fish population and whether it is sustainable. It can also aid in identifying potential threats or issues that may be impacting the population, and inform management strategies to maintain or improve fish populations.

5. How can the rate of change of fish population be used to inform fisheries management?

The rate of change of fish population is a key factor in fisheries management decisions. By monitoring this rate, managers can determine if fish populations are at risk of overfishing or if they are rebounding after previous declines. This information can then be used to adjust fishing quotas, implement conservation measures, or make other management decisions to ensure the long-term sustainability of fish populations.