Need help with nonlinear 2nd order DE

In summary: You have made an error here -->x(du/dx) -u^2 = vuint[(1/u)-u]du = int[1/v]dxThen,Multiplying throughout by x gives,x(du/dx) - u^2*x = vu-- AIyes that was the form it was in. I've got it down to this:[int]dx/x = [int]du/(v(v+1))
j_reez
problem: xy'' -x(y')^2 = y'

what i have so far:

u=y' and du/dx=y''

du/dx - u^2 = (1/x)u

int[(1/u)-u]du = int[1/x]dx

ln u - (1/2)u^2 = ln x +c

ok, now is what I've done so far correct? what do i do next?

ps: i'd like to say hi to everyon :) I am new here

Physics news on Phys.org
j_reez,
welcome to the board!

You have made an error here -->
du/dx - u^2 = (1/x)u
int[(1/u)-u]du = int[1/x]dx

What u will have is ...
du/dx - u^2 = (1/x)u
du - u^2dx =(u/x)dx

Can u see the error u made?
Can u correct it?

-- AI

i must be making a trivial algebraic mistake...as far as i know I am supposed to be isolating dx's and x's on one side with u's and du's on the other...which is why i divided through by x. is this not allowed?

oh boy, i see it...i can't get dx to the other side like that...let me see what i can do

ok hows this look:

x(du/dx) -u^2 = u

x(du/dx) = u + u^2

(1/x)dx = (1/u+u^2)du

?

du/dx - u^2 = (1/x)u
Then,
Multiplying throughout by x gives,
x(du/dx) - u^2*x = u

-- AI

yes that was the form it was in. I've got it down to this:

[int]dx/x = [int]du/(u(u+1))

how do i integrate the RHS?

j_reez,
think again ...

ur original equation was,
xy'' -x(y')^2 = y'
placing u = y' u get,
xu'--xu^2 = u

The way u have separated won't work ...
Think harder! :)

-- AI
P.S as an aside,
to integrate 1/(u(u+1))
u should use partial fractions and integrate
ofcourse for now it won't apply to this problem
i am just telling this as it might be helpful somewhere else

im really not seeing how this can be separated :grumpy:

The thing is that it cannot be separated atleast in this form...

Substitute u = vx ...
where v is some function of x ...

-- AI

1. What is a nonlinear 2nd order differential equation?

A nonlinear 2nd order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves the second derivative of a function, with at least one term that is not a linear function of the dependent variable or its derivatives. This means that the equation cannot be solved using traditional methods like separation of variables or substitution. Instead, numerical or numerical-analytic methods must be used.

2. How do I know if a differential equation is nonlinear?

A differential equation is nonlinear if it contains terms that are not linear functions of the dependent variable or its derivatives. For example, if the equation contains terms like x^2, sin(x), or ln(x), it is nonlinear. Another way to check is to see if the equation can be rearranged into the form of a linear equation. If not, it is nonlinear.

3. Why are nonlinear 2nd order differential equations difficult to solve?

Nonlinear 2nd order differential equations are difficult to solve because they do not have a general solution like linear equations do. Each nonlinear equation is unique and requires a different approach to solve. Additionally, there are limited analytical techniques available for solving nonlinear equations, so numerical methods must be used, which can be complex and time-consuming.

4. What are some common methods for solving nonlinear 2nd order differential equations?

Some common methods for solving nonlinear 2nd order differential equations include the use of power series, numerical methods such as Euler's method and Runge-Kutta methods, and perturbation methods. Choosing the most appropriate method depends on the specific equation and its initial conditions.

5. Can I use software to solve a nonlinear 2nd order differential equation?

Yes, there are a variety of software programs and packages available that can solve nonlinear 2nd order differential equations. These include MATLAB, Wolfram Alpha, and Python libraries like SciPy and SymPy. However, it is important to understand the underlying mathematical concepts and techniques involved in solving the equation before using software to ensure accurate results.