Electricity, Submersible Water Pump, 4.3 Amps

In summary, the conversation discussed the safety concerns of using a high quality submersible water pump from Italy while working in the water. The pump is 220 volt, 1,100SA, 4.3 amps and grounded into the Earth while in use, and has an emergency electrical cut-off in case of an electrical short. However, the question was raised about the safety of working in the water while the pump is running. The conversation concluded that while there is always a risk, it is possible to design and wire the pump to minimize the risk of electrical shock. Suggestions included using an insulator like epoxy to seal electrical components, making sure the power is Ground Fault Circuit Interrupted, and not working alone. It was also noted
Noble Metal
Hi Friends, a high quality submersible water pump from Italy, it is 220 volt, 1,100SA, 4.3 amps, and it is grounded into the Earth while in use; and we also have an emergency electrical cut-off that cuts the power in case of an electrical short; but the question is, in a new high quality pump like this, how safe and how insane is it that I work in the water while the pump is running (No way to do the work unless the pump is running; and yes it is also again, grounded into the earth.) And again I’m so ignorant on this subject that I think as an example of ‘a submarine’, many many volts and amps, radio antennas and everything, under water in salt water; and so why is it in my little brain, Italy, USA, or Germany etc, cannot design and make a pump where when healthy and new is specifically designed that electronic leak, jump, or spark, is just basically impossible? – All honest true comments hoped for and needed; how safe am I to be in the water in work in this with rubberised tools; how likely is a shock likely, and if so, what are my chances wet, in this case with a one second shock at 4.3 amps?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would be more worried about mechanical safety than electrical safety. You are actually safer submerged in the water than when outside of the water and still wet - the current will spread through all paths through the water, and go around you to some extent in case of the water shorting some electrical components.

What exactly are you doing there? Are you submerged in the water yourself? It's hard to say whether it's safe or not, but it is possible to design such an apparatus to be safe. Does the pump have any labeling saying what you should and should not do around it?

Digging a well, yes I'm standing in water, all is wet, and electricity is tricky stuff, including the difference of say both hands on a metal tool at the same time of a shock and the currant from the hands and arms passing through the heart; and which I won't do... No, nothing on the label, the company because of possible lawsuit of course would never say such a thing; its just crazy to me in a world of submarines that an electrical pump can't be designed and wired that the thought is never even thought of?...

the pump should have electrical components sealed in an insulator like epoxy, but there is always a risk. you're taking a chance. at the very least, i would make sure the power is Ground Fault Circuit Interrupted. this is a device that measures current entering and leaving the circuit, and if some current appears to be lost, switches the device off. you also need to not work alone and if at all possible switch the power to the pump off, though I'm guessing that might be a drowning hazzard?

Proton Soup said:
the pump should have electrical components sealed in an insulator like epoxy, but there is always a risk. you're taking a chance. at the very least, i would make sure the power is Ground Fault Circuit Interrupted. this is a device that measures current entering and leaving the circuit, and if some current appears to be lost, switches the device off. you also need to not work alone and if at all possible switch the power to the pump off, though I'm guessing that might be a drowning hazzard?

^^Good advise. The GFCI is probably in place already. Outdoor outlets are usually required by building code to be fed off a GFCI. These things are those outlets you often see in bathrooms, with a "test" and "reset" button. Even if the outlet you plug into is not itself a GFCI, it may be connected through a GFCI at another location. With this protection in place, I would not be worried.

1. What is electricity?

Electricity is a form of energy that is created by the movement of electrons. It is a fundamental force of nature that powers everything from our homes to our technology.

2. How does a submersible water pump work?

A submersible water pump is an electric pump that is designed to be fully submerged in water. It works by drawing water through an intake valve and then pushing it out through a discharge valve using an impeller. The impeller is rotated by an electric motor, which creates the pumping action.

3. What is the amperage of a 4.3 Amp submersible water pump?

The amperage of a submersible water pump refers to the amount of electrical current that the pump draws. A 4.3 Amp pump draws 4.3 amps of current per hour. This is an important factor to consider when choosing the right pump for your needs.

4. What are the benefits of using a submersible water pump?

Submersible water pumps have several benefits, including their ability to be fully submerged in water and their quiet operation. They are also typically more energy-efficient than other types of pumps and are often used for applications such as draining pools, wells, and basements.

5. Can a submersible water pump be used for other liquids besides water?

While submersible water pumps are specifically designed for use with water, some models may be able to handle other non-corrosive liquids, such as light oils or diesel fuel. It is important to check the manufacturer's specifications to ensure the pump is suitable for your desired liquid before use.