Cheap Voltage/Amperage Alarm Device?

• Thread starter jb10929
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Device
In summary, the person is looking for a low cost "alarm device" that can be triggered by a preset power amount. They are not familiar with electrical engineering and have asked for help in finding a solution. They are seeking a way to be alerted when a certain voltage or current level is exceeded. More information is needed about the specific power source in order to provide more options.
jb10929
Does anyone know of a low cost "alarm device" that is triggered by a preset power amount? In other words, I need an alarm that goes off when an amount of volts or amps are present. I realize that there there are many things that I could do to inhibit the amount of current, however I would like something that actually alerts me when a preset value is exceeded. I know very little about about electrical engineering and after searching the internet I figured I'd post here. Thanks ahead of time for any help anyone has to offer.

Engineering news on Phys.org
jb10929 said:
Does anyone know of a low cost "alarm device" that is triggered by a preset power amount? In other words, I need an alarm that goes off when an amount of volts or amps are present. I realize that there there are many things that I could do to inhibit the amount of current, however I would like something that actually alerts me when a preset value is exceeded. I know very little about about electrical engineering and after searching the internet I figured I'd post here. Thanks ahead of time for any help anyone has to offer.

Welcome to the PF.

What kind of device is consuming the power? Is this AC Mains power from the wall, or power from some other source?

If you can provide more context, we can help you understand your options better.

1. What is a Cheap Voltage/Amperage Alarm Device?

A Cheap Voltage/Amperage Alarm Device is a small electronic device that is designed to monitor and alert you when the voltage or amperage levels of a circuit or electrical device reach a certain threshold. It is generally used for safety purposes to prevent electrical fires or damage to equipment.

2. How does a Cheap Voltage/Amperage Alarm Device work?

The device typically consists of a sensor that is connected to the circuit or device being monitored, and a control unit that receives the sensor's readings and triggers an audible or visual alarm when the levels exceed the set threshold. Some devices may also have additional features such as data logging or remote monitoring capabilities.

3. What are the benefits of using a Cheap Voltage/Amperage Alarm Device?

Using a Cheap Voltage/Amperage Alarm Device can help prevent potential hazards and damage caused by electrical malfunctions. It can also provide peace of mind by alerting you to any issues with your electrical systems or devices, allowing you to take necessary precautions or address any problems before they escalate.

4. Are Cheap Voltage/Amperage Alarm Devices reliable?

The reliability of a Cheap Voltage/Amperage Alarm Device depends on the quality and accuracy of the sensor and control unit. It is important to choose a device from a reputable manufacturer and regularly test and calibrate it to ensure its effectiveness. Additionally, having a backup alarm system in place is always recommended for added safety.

5. Where can I purchase a Cheap Voltage/Amperage Alarm Device?

Cheap Voltage/Amperage Alarm Devices can be purchased online or at most hardware or electronics stores. It is important to do research and read reviews before making a purchase to ensure you are getting a reliable and effective device. Additionally, consulting with a professional electrician may also be helpful in determining the right device for your specific needs.