Correct definition of Relative atomic mass

In summary, Relative Atomic Mass refers to the mass of an atom in relation to one atom of carbon-12. This concept is worth three marks, and to receive all three marks, one must explain that the relative atomic mass can be relative to any atom, not just carbon-12.
synkk

Homework Statement

Explain what you understand by the term Relative Atomic Mass

The question is equal to three marks, though i don't think I've put enough for all the marks:

The Attempt at a Solution

The mass of an atom relative to one atom of carbon-12.

I would think that's only equal to one mark, how do i get the other three?

Physics news on Phys.org
synkk said:

Homework Statement

Explain what you understand by the term Relative Atomic Mass

The question is equal to three marks, though i don't think I've put enough for all the marks:

The Attempt at a Solution

The mass of an atom relative to one atom of carbon-12.

I would think that's only equal to one mark, how do i get the other three?
So carbon-12 has a relative atomic mass of 1 (unity) then (viz, relative to itself)?! I'd not give you the one mark! :/

So how could i get receive the three marks?

I put: Average mass of an element compared to 1/12th of a carbon-12 atom? Hows that

Not bad, but not completely correct either. Relative atomic mass can be relative to any atom, doesn't have to be C-12 - the choice is arbitrary. It was oxygen in the past, it is C-12 now.

1. What is the definition of relative atomic mass?

Relative atomic mass is the average mass of an element's isotopes, taking into account their abundance in a naturally occurring sample, compared to 1/12th the mass of a carbon-12 atom.

2. How is relative atomic mass different from atomic mass?

Atomic mass is the mass of a single atom of an element, while relative atomic mass is the average mass of all the isotopes of an element. This takes into account the fact that most elements have multiple isotopes with varying masses.

3. What is the unit of measurement for relative atomic mass?

The unit of measurement for relative atomic mass is atomic mass units (amu) or unified atomic mass units (u).

4. How is relative atomic mass calculated?

Relative atomic mass is calculated by taking the weighted average of the masses of all the naturally occurring isotopes of an element, using their relative abundance as the weighting factor. This can be expressed mathematically as: (mass of isotope 1 x abundance of isotope 1) + (mass of isotope 2 x abundance of isotope 2) + ... / total abundance of all isotopes.

5. Why is relative atomic mass a useful concept in chemistry?

Relative atomic mass is useful because it allows for a more accurate representation of an element's mass, taking into account the fact that most elements have multiple isotopes with varying masses. It also allows for easier comparison between different elements and their masses. Additionally, relative atomic mass is used in various calculations and equations in chemistry, such as calculating molar mass and percent composition.