Solving Static Equilibrium Problem

In summary, the problem involves a uniform bar attached to a wall with a hinge and a cord at a 90 degree angle. The question asks for the magnitude of the horizontal force Hx on the pivot, with the acceleration of gravity given. The solution involves considering the two forces in the x direction acting on the bar and realizing that the force of gravity acts in the y direction. This can be solved by studying worked out examples and understanding the concepts.
DrunkApple
Static Equilibrium Problem

Homework Statement

A uniform bar of length 16 m and mass 8 kg is
attached to a wall with a hinge that exerts a
horizontal force Hx and a vertical force Hy on
the bar. The bar is held by a cord that makes
a 90 degree angle with respect to the bar and 45 degree
with respect to the wall.
What is the magnitude of the horizontal
force Hx on the pivot? The acceleration of
gravity is 9.8 m/s2 .
Answer in units of N

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I actually have no idea what I'm doing in this question. This chapter I do not get.

Attachments

• qwerty.png
    qwerty.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 674
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It takes time, try studying worked out examples.

Attachments

• aaaaa102.jpg
    aaaaa102.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 791
for Hx, why isn't x component of the rod included?

There are only two forces in the x direction that act on the bar, a piece of T and the force acting on the bar at the pivot I labeled F_x.

Good luck.

Yes yes but i don't understand why x component of Fg is left out though

What is Fg? Is that mg? If so mg acts in the y direction.

I got it. I got confused with this Fg because the rod was slanted and somehow mistaken it that the rod was on the incline -_- thank u mate :)

1. What is static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium refers to a state in which all forces acting on an object are balanced and there is no net motion or acceleration. This means that the object is either at rest or moving at a constant velocity.

2. How do you solve static equilibrium problems?

To solve static equilibrium problems, you need to first identify all the forces acting on the object and their respective magnitudes and directions. Then, you can use the principle of equilibrium, which states that the sum of all forces in any direction must be equal to zero, to set up and solve equations to find the unknown forces or angles.

3. What are the key principles involved in solving static equilibrium problems?

The key principles involved in solving static equilibrium problems are the principle of equilibrium, which states that the sum of all forces in any direction must be equal to zero, and the principle of torque, which states that the sum of all torques on an object must be equal to zero for it to be in rotational equilibrium.

4. What are common mistakes to avoid when solving static equilibrium problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving static equilibrium problems are not considering all forces acting on the object, not using the correct sign conventions for forces and angles, and not setting up and solving the equations correctly. It is also important to check your final answer and make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

5. How can I check my answer when solving a static equilibrium problem?

You can check your answer by using the principles of equilibrium and torque to see if the sum of all forces and torques is equal to zero, respectively. You can also check if your answer makes sense in the context of the problem and if it is within the expected range of values. Additionally, you can use a free body diagram to visually confirm that all forces are balanced and no net motion or rotation will occur.