Resistance for a lightbulb circuit

In summary, the speaker has created a circuit using a photoresistor to light up a 7.2V light bulb when it is dark. However, using a relay switch with a 9V battery has resulted in the battery dying after a few minutes. The speaker is wondering if adding a resistance to the circuit would increase the battery life to an hour. It is suggested to use multiple 9V batteries in parallel for longer running time.
badaboom
So I've made a circuit that lights up a light bulb whenever it's dark. I did this using a photoresistor and it is working. However, I have a relay switch with a 9V battery and a 7.2V lightbulb. When it was supposed to turn on, it lasted a couple of minutes and the battery is now dead. Should I place a resistance in that circuit so it lasts at least an hour? If so, what should I add?

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
do you have any more info on the lightbulb? you are putting a little too much current through it, but it sounds like you won't get much improvement in performance as 9V don't have a lot of capacity. The top end ones have ~570mAh of capacity for the disposable kind. This means that if you take 570mA for an hour the battery will be flat. Seeing as you want it to last an hour, this is a nice easy calculation and you need your light to draw 570mA.
Maybe you could try several 9V batteries in parallel, this will up your running time but it sounds like you are going to need a lot of them to run for any significant amount of time...

sam

What is resistance in a lightbulb circuit?

Resistance is the measure of how much a material or device impedes the flow of electric current. In a lightbulb circuit, resistance is necessary to limit the amount of current flowing through the circuit and prevent the lightbulb from burning out.

How is resistance measured?

Resistance is measured in units called ohms (Ω). It can be measured using a multimeter, which is a tool that measures voltage, current, and resistance in an electrical circuit.

What factors affect resistance in a lightbulb circuit?

The main factors that affect resistance in a lightbulb circuit are the material of the wire, the length of the wire, and the temperature of the wire. Thicker wires have lower resistance, longer wires have higher resistance, and higher temperatures can increase resistance.

Why is resistance important in a lightbulb circuit?

Resistance is important in a lightbulb circuit because it helps to control the flow of electricity and prevents the lightbulb from receiving too much current, which can cause it to burn out. It also helps to ensure that the circuit is safe to use.

How can resistance be changed in a lightbulb circuit?

Resistance in a lightbulb circuit can be changed by altering the material, length, or thickness of the wire used in the circuit. Additionally, adding resistors to the circuit can also change the overall resistance. Temperature can also affect resistance, so changing the temperature of the wire can also change its resistance.