Does Resistance Decrease Over Time for Metal Resistors?

In summary: If you have a resistor in your lab that is out of tolerance, please show it to your professor or lab assistant -- it should be thrown away.
kahwawashay1
If a resistor made of a metal is frequently used, will its resistance eventually go down? why?

Engineering news on Phys.org
kahwawashay1 said:
If a resistor made of a metal is frequently used, will its resistance eventually go down? why?

Why do you ask? What is the context of the question? What type of resistor, what composition, what application, etc.?

berkeman said:
Why do you ask? What is the context of the question? What type of resistor, what composition, what application, etc.?

As I mentioned, it was a metal resistor. I'm not exactly sure what kind of metal, etc, but the application was that we were doing a lab in school and just applying voltage to the resistor and seeing the resulting current. Our group found that the experimental resistance was consistently lower than the actual range of resistance (considering tolerance values), and I was just wondering if this is a general rule, that resistance goes down with use for metal resistors

kahwawashay1 said:
As I mentioned, it was a metal resistor. I'm not exactly sure what kind of metal, etc, but the application was that we were doing a lab in school and just applying voltage to the resistor and seeing the resulting current. Our group found that the experimental resistance was consistently lower than the actual range of resistance (considering tolerance values), and I was just wondering if this is a general rule, that resistance goes down with use for metal resistors

Ah, you mean "metal film" resistors.

In general, no. The resistance will only vary with initial tolerance and with temperature. If the resistor is damaged by overheating or some mechanical problem, then the resistance can change (either up or down).

If you have a resistor in your lab that is out of tolerance, please show it to your professor or lab assistant -- it should be thrown away.

What is resistance varying with time?

Resistance varying with time is a phenomenon in which the resistance of a material or circuit changes over a period of time. This can be due to factors such as temperature, mechanical stress, or changes in the material's composition.

Why does resistance vary with time?

Resistance can vary with time due to changes in the material's properties. For example, as the temperature of a material increases, its resistance typically increases as well. This is because the increased thermal energy causes the atoms in the material to vibrate more, which in turn increases the collisions between electrons and atoms, leading to a higher resistance.

What are the effects of resistance varying with time?

The effects of resistance varying with time can include changes in the performance of electronic devices, fluctuations in electrical signals, and potential damage to circuits or components. It is important to consider and account for these effects in the design and operation of electronic systems.

How can resistance varying with time be measured?

Resistance varying with time can be measured using various instruments such as multimeters, oscilloscopes, or data loggers. These instruments can be used to monitor and record changes in resistance over time, allowing for analysis and identification of any patterns or trends.

How can resistance varying with time be controlled or minimized?

Resistance varying with time can be controlled or minimized by using materials and components with stable and consistent properties, implementing proper heat dissipation measures, and avoiding excessive mechanical stress. Additionally, calibration and maintenance of electronic systems can help to mitigate the effects of resistance varying with time.