Not sure how to do 2 body problem

• Thread starter yesiammanu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Body
In summary, a 1.00 kg mass on an inclined plane with a 40.0 degree angle and a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.225 is attached to a 1.50 kg mass hanging from a height of 50.0 cm via a pulley. When the system is released from rest, the acceleration can be found using the equation a = (m2g-m1gsin∅)/(m1+m2). To solve for the time it takes for the hanging mass to hit the floor, the forces acting on each mass should be listed and a Free Body Diagram should be drawn for each.
yesiammanu

Homework Statement

Look below for diagram

Mass m1is on an inclined plane and weighs 1.00 kg. The inclined plane creates a 40.0 degree angle with the ground, and μk = 0.225. Mass m11 is attached to a weight hanging off the edge via pulley, called M2. M2 has a mass of 1.50kg and hangs from a height h of 50.0 cm. When the system is released from rest, how long will it take M2 to hit the floor? Assume the static frction is exceeded by the weight of M2

Homework Equations

d=1/2(a)(t2)
f=ma (or f = mg)
f1 = MgSin∅
f2 = mg
a = net force/net weight
a = (m2g-m1gsin∅)/(m1+m2) - not sure how this was derived, was in my book

The Attempt at a Solution

a=(1.5 kg ) (9.8 m/s2)-(1 kg ) (9.8 m/s2) sin(40)
(1 kg )+(1.5 kg )

This solution feels wrong and I'm very sure I did it wrong. Please look it over for me; I'm terribly confused by this problem.

Attachments

• system.png
    system.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 423
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry for bumping but still looking for help on this

yesiammanu said:

Homework Statement

Look below for diagram

Mass m1is on an inclined plane and weighs 1.00 kg. The inclined plane creates a 40.0 degree angle with the ground, and μk = 0.225. Mass m11 is attached to a weight hanging off the edge via pulley, called M2. M2 has a mass of 1.50kg and hangs from a height h of 50.0 cm. When the system is released from rest, how long will it take M2 to hit the floor? Assume the static frction is exceeded by the weight of M2

Homework Equations

d=1/2(a)(t2)
f=ma (or f = mg)
f1 = MgSin∅
f2 = mg
a = net force/net weight
a = (m2g-m1gsin∅)/(m1+m2) - not sure how this was derived, was in my book

The Attempt at a Solution

a=(1.5 kg ) (9.8 m/s2)-(1 kg ) (9.8 m/s2) sin(40)
(1 kg )+(1.5 kg )

This solution feels wrong and I'm very sure I did it wrong. Please look it over for me; I'm terribly confused by this problem.

What happened to the dynamic friction between the first mass and the ramp?

List all the forces acting on the individual masses, then draw a Free Body Diagram for each. From that you should be able to write equations pertaining to each body and solve for their shared acceleration.

1. What is the "2 body problem" in science?

The 2 body problem refers to a mathematical and physical problem in which two point masses interact with each other gravitationally, with no other external forces. It is a simplified version of the more complex "n-body problem" which involves more than two masses.

2. How is the 2 body problem relevant in science?

The 2 body problem is relevant in many fields of science, including physics, astronomy, and engineering. It allows for the study of gravitational interactions between two masses, which can help us understand the motion of planets, satellites, and other celestial bodies in our universe.

3. What are the main challenges in solving the 2 body problem?

The main challenges in solving the 2 body problem are the complexity of the equations involved and the sensitivity of the solution to initial conditions. This makes it difficult to find exact solutions and requires the use of numerical methods to approximate the solution.

4. How do scientists approach solving the 2 body problem?

Scientists use various mathematical and computational techniques to solve the 2 body problem. These include analytical methods, such as the Kepler problem, and numerical methods, such as the Runge-Kutta method. They also make use of computer simulations to model and study the behavior of different systems.

5. What are some real-world applications of the 2 body problem?

The 2 body problem has many practical applications, such as predicting the orbits of satellites and spacecraft, understanding the motion of planets and moons in our solar system, and studying the dynamics of binary star systems. It also has applications in fields like robotics, where it can help in planning and controlling the movement of two interacting objects.