Why is the temperature of a non-equilibrium system undefined?

In summary, the concept of temperature is a statistical quantity and is only applicable to large numbers of particles. It is defined as the partial derivative of internal energy by entropy and is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a system. While it may not be defined for non-equilibrium systems, a measurable temperature can still be observed in systems not in thermal equilibrium. Additionally, the expression KE = 3/2 kT is only meaningful in equilibrium states and temperature is just one of the three fundamental thermodynamic parameters, along with pressure and volume. It is possible that your teacher may have been mistaken, but it is also possible that there were some mistakes in your notes.
Kelvin
Hi, I am taking a thermodynamics course but I am confused when my teacher told me that "the temperature of a non-equilibrium system is undefined".

but as I know, in microscopic world, temperature measures the average kinetic energy of a system, and this seems to be inconsistent with the previous statement.

Can anybody point out the mistakes I have made? Thank you!

Science news on Phys.org
Would your teacher consider a "non-equilibrium system" to be a red hot chunk of metal tossed into a bucket of cold water? The system then consists of the hot metal and the cold water. We might define the temperature of that system as the equilibrium temperature, but that temperature doesn't exist in the system anywhere.

2 different things

All thermodynamic parameters are defined only in Equilibrium State. You can talk of temperature in quazisatatical processes, but not much more than that.
The sentence "Temperature measures the average kinetic energy of a system", is helpull when you try to understand what you're dealing with, but you can't use it in equations. Temperature is really defined as the Internal Energy's partial derivative by the Entropy.

Is "the partial derivative of internal energy by entropy" is a more fundamental definition of temperature? Is the expression
KE = 3/2 kT​
meaningful when the system is in equilibrium? thermodynaimcs parameters are pressure, volume & temperature only?

Q_Goest:
Is that means my teacher was wrong or probably I made some mistakes when jotting notes?

Kelvin said:
Is "the partial derivative of internal energy by entropy" is a more fundamental definition of temperature? Is the expression
KE = 3/2 kT​
meaningful when the system is in equilibrium? thermodynaimcs parameters are pressure, volume & temperature only?
KE=3/2kT is an average KE for one molecule in a system at temperature T. That doesn't mean the molecule has that temperature. Temperature is a statistical measure and only applies to large numbers of molecules. In any gas, a given molecule can be moving at a wide range of speeds because it is subject to random collisions.

But I disagree that temperature is not defined for a non-equilibrium system. The fact that heat is flowing into or out of a system does not mean it has no temperature. A cooking turkey, for example is not in thermal equilibrium. It still has a defined temperature and if you stick a thermometer probe into it while it is cooking, you can measure it.

AM

Kelvin said:
KE = 3/2 kT​

Q_Goest:
Is that means my teacher was wrong or probably I made some mistakes when jotting notes?

Yes,u can bring into discussion temperature only in equilibrium states,or in states not far from the equlilibrium states.That T in the eq.
[tex] T=\frac{2}{3}\frac{E}{k} [/tex]
is the same temperature with the one dicussed in the thermodynamics of equilibrium processes.It is called KINETIC TEMPERATURE AND IS DENOTED BY
[tex] \Theta =:\frac{2}{i}\frac{E}{2} [/tex]
.However,because this kinetic temperature,in the case of statistical systems in equilibrium,coincides with the absolute termodynamic temperature (denoted by T and measured in Kelvin),it is denoted like the latter,viz.with T.
Temperature is a statistical quantity.That's because entire thermodynamics of reversible/equilibrium processes (in either formulation,but the neogibbsian is more easy to use) contains the same results as a subtheory of statistical physics of equlibrium processe called 'statistical thermodynamics'.
In the neogibbsian formulation of thermodynamics,temperature is defined implicitely by:
[tex] \frac{1}{T}(U,\{X_{i}\})=:(\frac{\partial S(U,\{X_{i}\})}{\partial U})_{\{X_{i}\} [/tex] (1)
,which is bsically the same with its definition within the microcanonical ensemble (classical or quantum) of statistical mecanics of equilibrium processes:
[tex] \frac{1}{T}(E,\{X_{i}\})=:(\frac{\partial S(E,\{X_{i}\})}{\partial U})_{\{X_{i}\} [/tex] (2)
,where E is the value of the Hamiltonian,assumed fixed at macroscopical level.It is actually the internal energy from thermodynamics.

Daniel.

Last edited:
As was stated, temperature is a statistical quantity. If you try to attach T to individual particles (actually, degrees of freedom not particles), you'll get widely differing results and no useful quantity. But large numbers of particles do have a temperature. The number of particles needed for a useful quantity is related to how much "noise" you can tolerate. If you want a temperature correct to 1%, you only need about 10,000 particles. (Noise ~ 1 / square root of N) This is quite a small number on macroscopic scales of 10^24 particles. So though your teacher may be correct in some sense, it requires a measurable temperature gradient across a volume containing only some 10,000 particles before we can say the medium is too far from equilibrium to define a temperature.

1. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is a form of energy that is transferred from one object to another due to a difference in temperature. Temperature, on the other hand, is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance.

2. How is temperature measured?

Temperature is typically measured using a thermometer, which contains a liquid (such as mercury or alcohol) that expands or contracts with changes in temperature.

3. What is the relationship between temperature and the kinetic energy of particles?

The kinetic energy of particles in a substance is directly proportional to the temperature. As the temperature increases, the particles move faster and have more kinetic energy.

4. Can temperature be negative?

Yes, temperature can be negative. In the Celsius and Fahrenheit scales, negative temperatures indicate that the substance is below the freezing point of water. In the Kelvin scale, negative temperatures are not possible as 0 Kelvin is absolute zero, the point at which all molecular motion stops.

5. How does temperature affect the behavior of gases?

As temperature increases, the kinetic energy of gas particles also increases, causing them to move faster and spread out more. As a result, the volume of a gas increases with increasing temperature, while the pressure remains constant.