Polyhedra 101: Finding face angles on a tetrahedron?

In summary, the person is trying to find the face angles on a non-regular tetrahedron using base edge lengths, angles connected to the base edges, and an approximate height of the top/non-base vertex. They are also looking for an introduction to the geometry of a non-regular tetrahedron and would appreciate pointers to websites that can help them derive angles and edge lengths. Another person suggests finding the center of two faces with a common edge and using the cosine law to find the angle at the point where the perpendicular lines from the two centers intersect with the common edge.
n00bot

Homework Statement

I am trying to find the face angles on a tetrahedron. I have only the base edge lengths, the angles connected the base edges and an (approximate) height of the top/non-base vertex. I might be able to extrapolate other information from images of the base of the tetrahedron, but I'm not quite sure what would be useful.

For the curious: I'm attempting to determine aerial position from images using known ground landmarks (Fischler-Bolles).

2/3. Relevant equations and The attempt at a solution
I'm really looking for an Introduction to the Geometry of a Non-Regular Tetrahedron. I've checked with math libraries, been steered towards Topology, but that's all been mostly not relevant. Everything I've been able to find has been for regular tetrahedrons. Mine is not regular. Pointers to places on the web which would walk me through deriving angles or edge lengths on a non-regular tetrahedron would be VERY much appreciated.

Many Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is certainly not a trivial problem! What I would do is find the center of two faces having a common edge. Call those P1 and P2. The lines perpendicular to the two centers to that common edge should cross that edge at the same point which I will call E. The three points, P1, E, and P2, form a triangle for which you can calculate the lengths of the sides and so use the cosine law to find the angle at E.

1. What is a polyhedron?

A polyhedron is a three-dimensional shape with flat faces, straight edges, and sharp corners. Examples of polyhedra include cubes, pyramids, and prisms.

2. What is a tetrahedron?

A tetrahedron is a specific type of polyhedron with four triangular faces, six edges, and four vertices. It is often referred to as a triangular pyramid.

3. How do you find the face angles on a tetrahedron?

To find the face angles on a tetrahedron, you can use the formula A = (180 * (n-2)) / n, where A is the angle and n is the number of sides on the face. In a tetrahedron, all the faces are triangles, so n = 3. Therefore, the face angle on a tetrahedron is (180 * (3-2)) / 3 = 60 degrees.

4. What is the relationship between the face angles on a tetrahedron?

The face angles on a tetrahedron are all congruent, meaning they are equal in measure. This is because a tetrahedron is a regular polyhedron, which means all its faces are identical and its angles are all equal.

5. How can knowing the face angles on a tetrahedron be useful?

Knowing the face angles on a tetrahedron can be useful in various fields such as mathematics, architecture, and engineering. It can help in determining the angles of a structure, calculating surface area and volume, and understanding the symmetry and properties of shapes.