Discrete Math Proof n^2 > n +1

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the inequality n^2 > n + 1 for all n > 1, where n is an element of the natural number set. One approach is to rewrite the inequality as n^2 - n - 1 > 0 and show that this is true for all n > 1. Another approach is to find a value for c > 0 that satisfies the definition of the greater than relationship, (a,b): \exists c: a = b+c. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using induction to prove the inequality.
Xuanwu

Homework Statement

For any given n, where n is an element of the natural number set, prove n^2 > n +1, for all n > 1.

Homework Equations

This week in lecture we defined the greater than relationship as:

Let S = Natural numbers
Let R = {(a,b): [itex]\exists[/itex] c: a = b+c}
then aRb

The Attempt at a Solution

My first thought was show a general expression of either an odd of even number (n = 2x + 1 or n = 2x), but the resultant (4x^2 + 4x +1 > 2x + 2 and 4x^2 > 2x +1 for odd/even respectively) doesn't really give me anything useful as far as I can see.

I can see that it would be true, as n = 2 would be 4 > 3, and n= 3 would be 9 > 4, I'm just not sure on how to get started.

Some literature on approaches to getting started on proofs would be great, as I find I'm fairly hit/miss. I can either see the approach or I stand there going "I know it's true, but I can't show it's true".

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's one approach.

n^2-n = n(n-1)

n>1 thus (n-1)>=1, now n(n-1)>= n >1

Sorry, still not sure how having the form,

n(n-1) > 1 for all n > 1,

helps me in this?

One way to do it would be to rewrite it as n^2 - n -1 > 0, and show that that is true for n > 1

Hmm.. explain it to me like I'm 5. I last did math proof type subjects in '99, prior to this my degree has had calculus and stats which I had no issue with.

Xuanwu said:
Sorry, still not sure how having the form,

n(n-1) > 1 for all n > 1,

helps me in this?

See the previous post #2. The original inequality can be written as n2-n>1, as you can subtract the same amount from both sides of an inequality: for example, if a>b, a-1>b-1.

n2-n=n(n-1). So you have to prove that n(n-1)>1 if n>1 integer.
If n>1 n-1≥1. You multiply n with a number greater then 1. Will the result greater or less than n?

ehild

Alright, that makes sense. Issue is I'm not sure if this is the sort of proof I'm meant to be doing for it.

I think I'll go bang my head on a book.

Thanks.

Xuanwu said:
Alright, that makes sense. Issue is I'm not sure if this is the sort of proof I'm meant to be doing for it.

It is a proof and simple enough. If you want to apply the definition find that "c" >0 that makes (n+1)+c=n2. It is just the difference n2-(n+1), isn't it? You need to prove that n2-n-1>0.

ehild

EDITED!

Last edited:
ehild, you meant n^2-n-1>0 not n^2-n+1.

You can do this also by induction, though it's really easy without.

MathematicalPhysicist said:
ehild, you meant n^2-n-1>0 not n^2-n+1.

Thank you, I corrected it.

ehild

1. What is discrete math?

Discrete math is a branch of mathematics that deals with objects that can only take on distinct, separate values. It is used to study and solve problems related to discrete structures such as graphs, networks, and sequences.

2. What is a proof in discrete math?

In discrete math, a proof is a logical argument that shows the validity of a statement or theorem. It involves using mathematical reasoning and rules to demonstrate that a statement is true.

3. How do you prove n^2 > n + 1 in discrete math?

To prove n^2 > n + 1, we can use mathematical induction. This involves showing that the statement is true for a base case (usually n = 1), and then assuming it is true for some arbitrary value of n and using that assumption to prove that it is also true for n + 1. This can be repeated infinitely to prove the statement for all natural numbers.

4. Why is it important to prove statements in discrete math?

Proving statements in discrete math is important because it allows us to establish the truth of a statement and build a foundation for further mathematical reasoning. It also helps to avoid errors and ensure that our conclusions are valid and reliable.

5. What are some applications of discrete math?

Discrete math has numerous applications in various fields, including computer science, engineering, and cryptography. It is used to model and solve problems involving networks, algorithms, and data structures. It is also essential for understanding and developing secure communication systems.