Ranking US Universities according to their physics research

In summary: Instead, you should pick schools by researching their curriculum, the professors, the resources available, and the student body.
SUDOnym
Hello

I have asked similar questions in the past but am having a lot of trouble with this!:

I am welcoming all advice on finding good official ranking tables of US Universities according to the quality and volume (and perhaps other metrics as well!) of their scientific research. For example a good resource for ranking UK Universities according to these criteria can be found at rae.ac.uk.

I suppose the main reason I am having trouble with this is that I know very little about the USA! So it is difficult to know which are good or bad institutions of higher education - and the fact that there are literally thousands of institutions makes the task all the more arduous!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
SUDOnym said:
official ranking tables of US Universities according to the quality and volume (and perhaps other metrics as well!) of their scientific research.

There is no such thing publically available, as far as I know, as least not from any U.S. government agency or the American Physical Society or the American Institute of Physics. If there were, I'm sure there would be frequent references to it here on PF!

There's no such thing, I'm afraid. Ranking schools is impossible - how do you deal with two schools: one is the best in subtopic X and has no program in subtopic Y and another school which is the reverse? Now it's impossible in Britain as well, but that doesn't seem to stop them from trying. Vice chancellors know this, but they also know they are stuck with this.

SUDOnym said:
I suppose the main reason I am having trouble with this is that I know very little about the USA! So it is difficult to know which are good or bad institutions of higher education - and the fact that there are literally thousands of institutions makes the task all the more arduous!

One very strong point about the US university system is that I can't think of any university with an regionally accredited physics Ph.D. program that is a *bad* institution. As long as it's listed in the AIP directory of physics departments, you know that it isn't an outright scam, and the standards for US graduate physics institutions are high enough so that you are assured of a decent education, where ever you end up.

First of all, figure out what subfield you are interested in. Just like Vanadium said, every university is different as they all have different emphases in different subfields.

Once you know this, I suggest you check out physicsgre.com, and check out the threads where people list what schools they applied to and which ones they got in (http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4274) There are multiple years, the thread I linked is 2012.

Pay specific attention to what topics people are applying for, and what schools they applied to. You will get an idea for what the common schools people applied to in your subfield are, and which ones accept nobody and which ones accept more people.

Another thing I suggest is: http://www.gradschoolshopper.com/

You can search for specific subfields and it will bring up a list of schools which do work in those fields.

After that, you need to go to those school's websites and do some heavy research regarding the schools.

Picking schools by ranking is the stupidest/laziest way to pick schools, and will only result in failure.

1. What criteria are used to rank US universities according to their physics research?

Some commonly used criteria include the number of publications and citations, research funding, faculty awards and honors, and reputation among other scientists in the field.

2. How often are these rankings updated?

There are various organizations and publications that regularly update their rankings, ranging from yearly to every few years. However, it is important to note that rankings can fluctuate and should not be the sole factor in choosing a university.

3. Are there different rankings for specific subfields within physics?

Yes, some rankings may focus on a specific subfield such as astrophysics or condensed matter physics. It is important to consider these specialized rankings if you have a specific research interest.

4. Can I trust these rankings to accurately reflect a university's physics research quality?

While rankings can be a helpful tool, it is important to also do your own research and consider other factors such as faculty expertise, research facilities, and opportunities for collaboration. Rankings should not be the sole determining factor in choosing a university.

5. Are there any universities that consistently rank highly in physics research?

Yes, there are some universities that tend to rank highly in multiple rankings due to their strong research programs and resources. However, every university has its own strengths and it is important to consider your own research interests and fit with a university rather than solely relying on rankings.