Simplifying slope-angular acceleration vs torque

In summary, the conversation is about finding the simplified units of slope in terms of kg, m, and s for the graphed relationship between angular acceleration and torque. The equation used is torque = NM, where NM = kg*a*m. The final simplified unit is kg. The attempt at a solution is to find the units for angular acceleration and torque, but a mistake is made in simplifying the units for acceleration.
pentwaterwave

Homework Statement

In a lab we conducted in class we graphed angular acceleration vs torque, and found a positive linear correlation-easy enough. However I am getting rather stuck in simplifying the units of slope in terms of Kg, m, and s... I am fairly sure this will give me that angular acceleration equals torque times inertia but I have trouble with simplifying the slope AND with even getting torque and angular acceleration simplified to kg m and s. I would really appreciate some help! thanks!

Homework Equations

Torque=NM
NM=Kg*a*m
kg*a*m=kg*(m/s^2)*m
=kg*m^2/s^2

Angular Acceleration= rad/s^2
rad/s^2=at/r
at/r=m/s^2/r
m^2/s^2

The Attempt at a Solution

(kg*m^2/s^2)/(m^2/s^2)
=kg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
pentwaterwave said:

Homework Statement

In a lab we conducted in class we graphed angular acceleration vs torque, and found a positive linear correlation-easy enough. However I am getting rather stuck in simplifying the units of slope in terms of Kg, m, and s... I am fairly sure this will give me that angular acceleration equals torque times inertia but I have trouble with simplifying the slope AND with even getting torque and angular acceleration simplified to kg m and s. I would really appreciate some help! thanks!

Homework Equations

Torque=NM
NM=Kg*a*m
kg*a*m=kg*(m/s^2)*m
=kg*m^2/s^2

Angular Acceleration= rad/s^2
rad/s^2=at/r
at/r=m/s^2/r
m^2/s^2
Your mistake is here. You have
$$\left[\frac{a_t}{r}\right] = \frac{\text{m}/\text{s}^2}{\text{m}} = \cdots$$ You shouldn't get m2/s2.

The Attempt at a Solution

(kg*m^2/s^2)/(m^2/s^2)
=kg

What is slope-angular acceleration?

Slope-angular acceleration refers to the change in angular velocity over time. It is a measure of how quickly an object's rotational motion is changing.

What does torque have to do with slope-angular acceleration?

Torque is the force that causes an object to rotate. It is directly related to the angular acceleration of an object, as a larger torque will result in a greater change in angular velocity.

How is slope-angular acceleration different from linear acceleration?

Slope-angular acceleration is a measure of rotational motion, while linear acceleration is a measure of linear motion. They are fundamentally different concepts, but both involve a change in velocity over time.

What are some real-life examples of slope-angular acceleration?

Examples of slope-angular acceleration can be seen in the rotation of objects such as wheels, gears, and motors. It is also present in phenomena such as the rotation of the Earth and the movement of planets around the sun.

What are some ways to simplify understanding of slope-angular acceleration and torque?

One way to simplify understanding is to think of torque as a force that causes an object to rotate, similar to how a push or pull causes an object to move in a linear direction. Another helpful tip is to visualize angular acceleration as the rate of change of rotational speed, similar to how linear acceleration is the rate of change of linear speed.