How can I make new friends after a life-changing experience?

• Thread starter Aero51
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friends
In summary: Volunteering can be a great way to make a difference.In summary, the last 2 months have drastically changed my life. After an turbulent sequence of events, I admitted myself to the hospital where I remained for 10 days. I was totally cut off from the internet, phone, etc - this was a positive thing. After getting home and checking my emails, calls/texts and facebook, I realized how few people were really looking out for me. In fact, I think no more than 3 of my friends were the least bit concerned that I was gone. Aside from this setback, my experience at the hospital was life changing. I feel more self assured, confident, calm, and just overall optimistic about life. I have also come
Aero51
The last 2 months have drastically changed my life. After an turbulent sequence of events I admitted myself to the hospital where I remained for 10 days. I was totally cut off from the internet, phone, etc - I found this to be a positive thing. Anyway, after getting home and checking my emails, calls/texts and facebook, I realized how few people are really looking out for me. In fact, I think no more than 3 of my friends were the least bit concerned that I was gone. Aside from this setback, my experience at the hospital was life changing. I feel so much more self assured, confident, calm, and just overall optimistic about life. I have also come to terms with several issues which have haunted me through out my life. In short, in many ways I am a completely (but not totally) different person than I was 2 months ago.

These changes have been extremely beneficial and positive, but have left me "friendless" in a sense. I do not feel comfortable with the old crowd of friends I was hanging out with before. I also know it is foolish to go out "looking" for friends as these type of relationships should come about naturally with little effort. So, any ideas on how to make some new friends? I was thinking about joining a club or activity. Maybe I can meet some people in this meditation class I will sign up for. Who knows!

Physics news on Phys.org
That depends on what your hobbies and interests are. I suggest going somewhere that has people with similar interests as you do.

I just moved to a new city, and I'm trying to make new friends through board games. The local board game shop has "open board gaming" on Sundays, so I've been heading up there with a board game and mingling.

So yes, activities are a great way to meet new people, particularly if it's an interactive activity.

Aero51 said:
The last 2 months have drastically changed my life. After an turbulent sequence of events I admitted myself to the hospital where I remained for 10 days. I was totally cut off from the internet, phone, etc - I found this to be a positive thing. Anyway, after getting home and checking my emails, calls/texts and facebook, I realized how few people are really looking out for me. In fact, I think no more than 3 of my friends were the least bit concerned that I was gone. Aside from this setback, my experience at the hospital was life changing. I feel so much more self assured, confident, calm, and just overall optimistic about life. I have also come to terms with several issues which have haunted me through out my life. In short, in many ways I am a completely (but not totally) different person than I was 2 months ago.

These changes have been extremely beneficial and positive, but have left me "friendless" in a sense. I do not feel comfortable with the old crowd of friends I was hanging out with before. I also know it is foolish to go out "looking" for friends as these type of relationships should come about naturally with little effort. So, any ideas on how to make some new friends? I was thinking about joining a club or activity. Maybe I can meet some people in this meditation class I will sign up for. Who knows!

May I ask why you admitted yourself to the hospital?

Meds weren't working the way they should. When I saw my doctor last Tuesday she told me to check myself in right away.

Last edited:
Have you considered volunteering at a food-bank? They are very stressed this time of year, and you can help others and meet like-minded people in the process. With cold weather coming on, poor people in Maine are making choices between heat, food, utilities, etc.

1. How do I approach making new friends after a life-changing experience?

Approaching making new friends after a life-changing experience can be intimidating, but remember that everyone is looking for connection and understanding. Start by joining groups or activities that align with your interests. This will give you a sense of community and provide common ground for forming friendships.

2. How do I overcome feelings of fear or insecurity when trying to make new friends?

It's natural to feel fearful or insecure when making new friends after a life-changing experience. Start by acknowledging and accepting these emotions. Then, try to shift your focus to positive thoughts and remind yourself that everyone experiences these feelings. Take small steps and give yourself time to build trust and comfort with new people.

3. How do I find the right people to become friends with?

Finding the right people to become friends with after a life-changing experience can be challenging. Start by aligning yourself with individuals who share similar values, beliefs, or interests. You can also try connecting with people who have gone through similar experiences and can understand and relate to what you have been through.

4. How can I maintain friendships after a life-changing experience?

Maintaining friendships after a life-changing experience may require some effort, but it's worth it for the support and connection they can provide. Communicate openly and regularly with your friends, make plans to spend time together, and be there for them as well. It's important to remember that friendships require effort and commitment from both parties.

5. How do I deal with potential rejection when trying to make new friends?

Rejection is a common fear when making new friends after a life-changing experience. Remember that rejection is not a reflection of your worth as a person. If someone isn't interested in being friends, it may not be a good match, and that's okay. Keep putting yourself out there and eventually, you will find people who appreciate and value your friendship.