How to incorporate core losses in an ANSOFT 2D transformer model

In summary, the user is designing a 2D model of a three-phase core-type transformer in ANSOFT MAXWELL 14.0 and has encountered a problem with incorporating core losses. They have tried adding resistors and inductors to the circuit, but the issue persists. The suggested solution is to divide the core loss by three and select a resistor that has this loss when connected line to line. The user should also check the phase voltages and currents, and make sure the current through the inductor is at 90 degrees from the current through the resistor.
Shantanav
I am designing a 2D model of a three-phase core-type transformer in ANSOFT MAXWELL 14.0. While doing so I have encountered a strange problem.

Start of the problem:-

While designing the transformer, I wanted to incorporate core losses. So, I did the following steps:-

Excitations -> Set Eddy Effects -> checked the various core sections in my model (because eddy current effects occur in the transformer core)

and also

Excitations -> Set Core Loss - > checked the various core sections in my model (because core loss effects occur in the transformer core)

Symptoms :-

Model simulated (using transient solution type) and then gives the following wrong results:

1) Line currents on the primary side (star-connected) are very high (about 10 times)

2) Secondary side (delta connected) phase currents lose their phase dependence, i.e. the phase currents are no more 120 degrees apart, they all are in phase now. However, the secondary line currents are Ok though.

Additional Information :-

If I do not consider eddy current and core loss effects, then the model simulates to give correct results.

Please provide me suggestions/hints/solutions to my problem - how to incorporate core losses correctly in my model.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I know nothing about ANSOFT MAXWELL 14.0, so this is a case of the blind leading the blind.

Forget about the transformer and merely add resistance to the circuit. There will be three resistors, each resistor will be line to line. These resistors will be the core loss.
Check that the phase voltages are all equal. Check that the phase currents are all equal.

Still without the transformer but with the resistors, add inductors line to line.(The inductors will be in parallel with the resistors) There will be three inductors. Check voltages and currents the same as before.

With the resistors and inductors installed, add the transformer. (Resistors and inductors should be between the input and the transformer) Repeat the checks, everything should be OK.

If there are still problems, post a schematic and someone may be able to help you.

Last edited:
Hello Carl Pugh,

Thanks for your suggestion. I would like to ask a question here - by 'resistors' and 'inductors' do you actually mean core-loss resistances and magnetizing inductances ?

Thanks,
Shantanav

Yes.

The transformer has a no load loss. (Core loss)
Divide the core loss by three. Select a resistor that has this loss when connected line to line.
Calculate the current through one resistor.

The exciting (Line) current for the transformer should be given.
The phase current (Current through the inductor) is the line current divided by 1.732.
The current through the inductor should be the phase current minus the current through the resistor. REMEMBER that the current through the inductor in at 90 degrees from the current through the resistor.

Good Luck
Carl

Thank you for sharing your problem with incorporating core losses in your ANSOFT 2D transformer model. Core losses are an important aspect to consider in transformer design, as they can significantly impact the overall performance of the transformer.

There are a few potential solutions to your problem:

1. Check the material properties of your core sections: It is important to make sure that the material properties of the core sections in your model accurately reflect the real-world material properties. If the material properties are incorrect, it can lead to incorrect simulation results.

2. Increase the number of mesh elements in the core sections: The accuracy of the simulation results can be improved by increasing the number of mesh elements in the core sections. This will allow for a more detailed representation of the core and its losses.

3. Consider using a more advanced core loss model: ANSOFT MAXWELL 14.0 has a built-in core loss model, but it may not be advanced enough for your specific transformer design. Consider using a more advanced core loss model that takes into account factors such as magnetic field distribution and frequency.

4. Use a different simulation type: Instead of using the transient solution type, you could try using the frequency domain solution type. This may provide more accurate results for your specific design.

5. Consult with ANSYS technical support: If you are still having trouble incorporating core losses in your model, it may be helpful to reach out to ANSYS technical support for further assistance. They will be able to provide more specific guidance based on your model and design.

Overall, it is important to carefully consider all aspects of your transformer design, including core losses, to ensure accurate simulation results. I hope these suggestions are helpful in resolving your issue. Best of luck with your transformer design!

1. What are core losses in a transformer?

Core losses refer to the power that is dissipated in the core of a transformer due to hysteresis and eddy currents. These losses are dependent on the material of the core and the frequency of the input signal.

2. Why is it important to incorporate core losses in an ANSOFT 2D transformer model?

In order to accurately simulate the behavior of a transformer, it is crucial to include the effects of core losses. Neglecting core losses can lead to a significant difference between the simulated and actual performance of the transformer.

3. How can core losses be incorporated in an ANSOFT 2D transformer model?

There are several methods for incorporating core losses in an ANSOFT 2D transformer model, such as using the core loss data provided by the manufacturer, using empirical equations, or performing separate simulations to determine the core losses and then incorporating them into the model.

4. Are there any limitations to incorporating core losses in an ANSOFT 2D transformer model?

While incorporating core losses in an ANSOFT 2D transformer model can improve its accuracy, there are some limitations. These include the complexity of the model, the accuracy of the core loss data or equations used, and the computational resources required to run the simulation.

5. Can ANSOFT 2D simulate the effects of core losses for all types of transformers?

ANSOFT 2D is a powerful software that can accurately simulate the effects of core losses for most types of transformers. However, it may not be suitable for extremely complex or specialized transformers, in which case a more advanced simulation tool may be necessary.