Increase Resistance on Air Exhaust Solenoid Circuit - YKon

• Thread starter 1stchiefsfan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistance
In summary, the speaker is experiencing issues with the air ride system on their Yukon and has determined that the air exhaust solenoid is the problem. They have tested the solenoid and found it to be functioning, but suspect that the resistance is causing the computer to read it as faulty. They are seeking advice on how to increase the resistance on the solenoid circuit and are open to suggestions.
1stchiefsfan
I am working on air ride system on my Yukon. the computer trouble code says the air exhaust solenoid is bad. I bench tested it and it works fine. I think the problem is the resistance. the resistance is suppost to be between 18 and 45 ohms. it reads right on 18. I think the computer is reading that as bad. what can I do to increase the resistance on this solenoid circuit??

Any input will be appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
You can increase the DC resistance by adding a resistor in series.
For such a low resistance - a length of wire may do the trick.

It may be that the solenoid is on the way out with internally shorted turns.
Add a couple of ohms resistance. If that fixes the fault detection then replace the solenoid with a good one.
Deviation from a manufacturers standard circuit does not usually engender reliability.

1. What is an air exhaust solenoid circuit?

An air exhaust solenoid circuit is a system that controls the flow of air through a solenoid valve, typically used in pneumatic or hydraulic systems. The solenoid valve is controlled by an electrical signal, allowing for precise and quick adjustments to the flow of air.

2. Why is it important to increase resistance on the air exhaust solenoid circuit?

Increasing resistance on the air exhaust solenoid circuit can help regulate the flow of air, preventing over-pressurization and potential damage to the system. It can also improve the precision and accuracy of the valve's operation.

3. How can I increase resistance on the air exhaust solenoid circuit?

There are a few ways to increase resistance on the air exhaust solenoid circuit, depending on the specific setup of the system. This can include adjusting the voltage or current supplied to the solenoid valve, using a resistor in series with the valve, or using a regulator to control the air pressure.

4. What are some common causes of low resistance on the air exhaust solenoid circuit?

Some common causes of low resistance on the air exhaust solenoid circuit include a faulty solenoid valve, incorrect wiring, or a malfunctioning regulator. It is important to carefully troubleshoot and identify the root cause of the issue in order to properly increase resistance.

5. Are there any potential risks or drawbacks to increasing resistance on the air exhaust solenoid circuit?

In some cases, increasing resistance on the air exhaust solenoid circuit can lead to slower response times or reduced overall performance of the system. It is important to carefully balance and adjust the resistance to achieve the desired results without compromising the efficiency of the system.