How Do Lorentz Group Generators Comply with Their Commutation Relations?

In summary, the Lorentz group generators, in any representation, satisfy the commutation relation and the Lorentz transformation is
spookyfish
The Lorentz group generators, in any representation, satisfy the commutation relation

[tex]
[S^{\mu \nu}, S^{\rho \sigma}] = i \left( g^{\nu \rho}S^{\mu \sigma} -g^{\mu \rho} S^{\nu \sigma} -g^{\nu \sigma}S^{\mu \rho} +g^{\mu \sigma} S^{\nu \rho} \right)
[/tex]

and the Lorentz transformation is

[tex]
\Lambda=\exp(-i \omega_{\mu \nu} S^{\mu \nu}/2)
[/tex]

My question is: is it possible to prove the formula for the generators (the first formula I wrote), from the definition of the Lorentz group

[tex]
\Lambda^T g \Lambda =g
[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Not quite what you're asking for, but Eq.(8)-(10) of http://hitoshi.berkeley.edu/232A/Lorentz.pdf gives a quick derivation.

For infinitesimal transformations you can linearize the exponential and get the particular value of the generators as 4X4 matrices (you get the generators in the fundamental representation of the Lorentz group). Then compute the commutator and represent it as a linear combination of the metric.

dextercioby said:
For infinitesimal transformations you can linearize the exponential and get the particular value of the generators as 4X4 matrices (you get the generators in the fundamental representation of the Lorentz group). Then compute the commutator and represent it as a linear combination of the metric.
Can you do this without writing out the 4 x 4 matrices explicitly?

Well, you get a particular form of M_mu nu in terms of metric tensor and delta mu nu.

Thanks for the replies. I have not seen any replies for a few days, and I thought I wouldn't get ones so I stopped looking.

Bill_K said:
Not quite what you're asking for, but Eq.(8)-(10) of http://hitoshi.berkeley.edu/232A/Lorentz.pdf gives a quick derivation.

Yes, but they derive it in the (1/2,1/2) representation, and I want a proof for an arbitrary representation.

dextercioby said:

I was trying to do this. I found the following lecture notes:
http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/ho/GNotes.pdf
Eqs. (4.26)-(4.32) are exactly what I was looking for, but I wasn't able to follow all of the derivation. Perhaps people here can help.

In Eq. (4.27) I substitute
[tex]
{{\Lambda_1}^\mu}_\nu={\delta^\mu}_\nu+{{\omega_1}^\mu}_\nu\\
{{\Lambda_2}^\mu}_\nu={\delta^\mu}_\nu+{{\omega_2}^\mu}_\nu\\
{({\Lambda_1}^{-1})^\mu}_\nu={\delta^\mu}_\nu-{{\omega_1}^\mu}_\nu\\
{({\Lambda_2}^{-1})^\mu}_\nu={\delta^\mu}_\nu-{{\omega_2}^\mu}_\nu
[/tex]
when I multiply them together as in the LHS of Eq. (4.27) I don't get the RHS.

Also, when I substitute Eq. (4.29) and the line after that, into Eq. (4.30), the multiplication of the 4 terms
[tex]
U[{\Lambda_2}^{-1}]U[{\Lambda_1}^{-1}]U[\Lambda_2]U[\Lambda_1]
[/tex]
does not give me the last line of Eq. (4.30).

Thanks for any help.

spookyfish said:
Yes, but they derive it in the (1/2,1/2) representation, and I want a proof for an arbitrary representation.
No, they only use the definition of the Lorentz group as the rotation group in Minkowski space.

Bill_K said:
No, they only use the definition of the Lorentz group as the rotation group in Minkowski space.

Any relation to my last question?

1. What is the Lorentz generators algebra?

The Lorentz generators algebra is a mathematical framework used to describe the transformations of spacetime coordinates under the Lorentz group, which is a group of symmetries in special relativity. It consists of a set of 10 generators that represent different types of transformations, such as boosts and rotations.

2. What are the applications of Lorentz generators algebra?

Lorentz generators algebra has many applications in theoretical physics, particularly in the fields of special relativity and quantum field theory. It is used to study and understand the symmetries of physical systems and to make predictions about their behavior.

3. How does Lorentz generators algebra relate to Einstein's theory of relativity?

Einstein's theory of relativity is based on the principle of Lorentz symmetry, which states that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers moving at constant velocities. Lorentz generators algebra provides a mathematical representation of this symmetry and is therefore closely related to Einstein's theory.

4. Are there any other types of generators besides the Lorentz generators?

Yes, there are other types of generators in physics, such as gauge generators and Poincaré generators. However, the Lorentz generators are specifically used to describe transformations under the Lorentz group, which is important in special relativity.

5. Can Lorentz generators algebra be applied to higher dimensions?

Yes, Lorentz generators algebra can be extended to higher dimensions, such as 4 or 5 dimensions. However, the physical interpretations and applications may differ from those in 3 dimensions, as the concept of spacetime symmetry changes in higher dimensions.