Spectroscopy: clarification about doppler shift

In summary, the conversation discusses studying spectroscopy and clarifying the Doppler Effect. It mentions using a laser and an oscilloscope to observe the resonance of Rubidium, and calculating the Doppler shift related to the peak. The individual is confused due to lack of knowledge in spectroscopy and mentions the triangular wave input and properties of Rubidium.
bznm
I've just begun to study spectroscopy, and I need a clarification about the Doppler Effect.

Consider a cell containing Rubidium and enlight it with a laser. Connect the system with an oscilloscope and give a triangular wave as input (so you can know when the Rubidium is resonant). This is the signal that you see downward in the graph. You can see the output in the upper signal.

2014-02-14-192035_1280x1024_scrot.png

could you explain me how I can see the doppler shift related to the deeper peak and how I can calculate it?

I'm confused because I haven't a course of Spectroscopy and this aspect was treated very very quickly in another course... is the doppler shift the inverse of the FWHM of the peak?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What are you putting the triangular wave put on? Does the rubidium have Piezo properties or something?

1. What is spectroscopy?

Spectroscopy is a scientific technique used to study the interaction between matter and electromagnetic radiation. It involves the analysis of the wavelengths and intensities of light emitted, absorbed, or scattered by a sample of matter.

2. What is doppler shift in spectroscopy?

Doppler shift in spectroscopy refers to the change in the wavelength of light emitted or absorbed by a moving object. This phenomenon is caused by the relative motion between the source of light and the observer.

3. How does doppler shift affect spectroscopy measurements?

Doppler shift can affect spectroscopy measurements by causing a shift in the observed spectral lines, leading to inaccuracies in the analysis of the sample's composition and properties. This is especially important in astronomical spectroscopy, where the motion of celestial bodies can impact the observed spectra.

4. How is doppler shift used in different types of spectroscopy?

Doppler shift is used in various types of spectroscopy, including optical, ultraviolet, infrared, and radio spectroscopy. In each of these techniques, the doppler shift is utilized to measure the velocity and movement of objects, such as stars, galaxies, and molecules.

5. How can doppler shift be corrected for in spectroscopy?

Doppler shift can be corrected for in spectroscopy by using calibration techniques and mathematical algorithms to calculate the true wavelengths of the spectral lines. This can also be achieved by measuring the velocity of the source of light and applying a correction factor to the observed spectra.