What is the internal and external quantum numbers of a atom

In summary, The statement is discussing the interaction between an atom and a photon, and for simplicity, the atom is assumed to be infinitely heavy and the external quantum numbers are disregarded. The external quantum numbers refer to outside factors that may affect the atom, such as external potentials and vibrations. Internal quantum numbers, on the other hand, refer to properties of the atom itself.
Robert_G
I am reading a book about the interaction between atom and photon. I don't understand the following statement:

"for the sake of simplicity, we assume the atom to be infinitely heavy and disregard the external quantum numbers"

Q: what is the external (or internal) quantum number of an atom.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since it's just one sentence out of context I guess a bit, but I think what they mean by external quantum numbers is outside things/fields that affect the atom. For example, for atom trapped in an external potential, like the lattice of a solid or the trapping fields of an ion trap, there are additional external quantum numbers related to the trapping potential. The atom can for example vibrate in the potential and this vibration is quantized into phonons. I assume the sentence means they ignore those external effects.

Internal quantum numbers should then be everything related to the atom itself, i.e. principal, angular momentum, spin etc.

Likes 1 person

1. What is the difference between internal and external quantum numbers?

The internal quantum numbers refer to the characteristics of the electron within an atom, such as its energy level and orbital shape. The external quantum numbers, on the other hand, describe the location and orientation of the electron in relation to the nucleus.

2. How are the internal and external quantum numbers related?

The internal and external quantum numbers are related through the quantum mechanical model of the atom, which describes the behavior of electrons in an atom. The internal quantum numbers determine the energy levels and orbitals that electrons can occupy, while the external quantum numbers determine the specific position and orientation of each electron within those energy levels and orbitals.

3. What are the possible values of the internal quantum numbers?

The possible values of the internal quantum numbers for an electron in an atom are determined by the principle quantum number, orbital quantum number, magnetic quantum number, and spin quantum number. The principle quantum number can have any positive integer value, the orbital quantum number can have a value from 0 to (n-1), the magnetic quantum number can have values from -l to l, and the spin quantum number can have a value of either +1/2 or -1/2.

4. How do the internal and external quantum numbers affect the properties of an atom?

The internal and external quantum numbers determine the electronic structure of an atom, which in turn affects its chemical and physical properties. The specific energy levels and orbitals that electrons occupy determine the atom's reactivity and bonding behavior, while the location and orientation of the electrons influence its size and shape.

5. How do scientists determine the internal and external quantum numbers of an atom?

The internal and external quantum numbers of an atom can be determined through various experimental techniques, such as spectroscopy and electron microscopy. These techniques allow scientists to observe the behavior of electrons in an atom and analyze their energy levels and orbitals, which can then be used to determine the internal and external quantum numbers.