Finding Advanced PDE Resources for Meteorologists with a Math Background

In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for books to further study partial differential equations. The speakers mention Walter Strauss's book for introductory courses, as well as books by Evans and Peter Olver. They also mention that the specific type of PDEs one wants to study will determine the best book to choose.
metdave
I am a meteorologist with Bachelor's Degrees in both Meteorology and Mathematics. I took an intro PDE course in college, but want to learn more. Can anyone suggest a book that would be a good book after only having an intro course?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I used the book of Walter Strauss for two of my PDE courses. It's a good book for a PDE I and PDE II course (so introduction a second course). The book of Evans is on my wish list because I like his writing style, as well as the book of Peter Olver. They cover all the basics. After that, it depends on what kind of PDE's you want to study: gas dynamics, fluid dynamics, quantum mechanics, nonlinear, chaotic, nondeterministic,...

Thanks!

What is a PDE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, is a mathematical equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives. It is commonly used to model physical phenomena in fields such as meteorology, physics, and engineering.

Why are PDEs important for meteorologists?

PDEs are important for meteorologists because they allow for more accurate and comprehensive modeling of weather patterns and atmospheric phenomena. They also help in predicting and understanding extreme weather events.

What resources are available for meteorologists with a math background to learn about advanced PDEs?

There are various resources available for meteorologists with a math background to learn about advanced PDEs, such as textbooks, online courses, workshops, and conferences. Additionally, many universities offer graduate programs in meteorology that include courses on PDEs.

What skills are necessary for a meteorologist to understand and use PDEs effectively?

A strong background in mathematics, particularly in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations, is necessary for a meteorologist to understand and use PDEs effectively. Additionally, knowledge in computer programming and numerical methods is also helpful.

Can PDEs be applied to other fields besides meteorology?

Yes, PDEs can be applied to various fields besides meteorology, such as physics, engineering, finance, and biology. They are a powerful tool for modeling and understanding complex systems and phenomena in these fields.