Probability of Die Landing on Value After x Days

• Thread starter εllipse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the conversation discussed the use of a formula to calculate the probability of a die landing on a specific value after a certain number of days. The formula is 1 - (5/6)^n, which approaches 1 as n approaches infinity. The conversation also touched on the concept of the law of large numbers and the inverse gambler's fallacy. The speaker, a philosophy major, is trying to find a more elegant formula for calculating the probability of an event occurring given changing probabilities.
εllipse
I'm sure this is the kind of question this forum gets a lot, but I looked at a few of the recent probability questions and they were all homework questions dealing with numerical values and such, so forgive the bland question.

If I throw a die once a day, what formula can I use to judge the probability of the die landing on a predetermined value (say a 4) after a certain number of days? It's been a while since I had any coursework on probability, so all I've got right now is a little intuition. Of course, each day there would be a 1/6 chance of the die hitting the 4, but after 6 days it seems like there should be a fairly good probability of the die having hit 4, and with even more days the probability should increase but never reach certainty. Surely there's a formula for this, could anyone point me in the right direction?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Probability of success = 1/6.
Probability of failure = 5/6.

Probability of at least one success in n independent trials = 1 - probability of zero successes
= 1 - (5/6)^n. This number approaches 1 as n approaches infinity.

Thank you very much; that's exactly what I wanted.

Does anyone know if there is a single formula for if the probability changes in a set manner.

I figured out the above formula while tinkering around on my own. My goal is to figure out the probability of a given even if the chances start out at 10% then increase by 5% each time, what the given chance of the event occurring at any given iteration. To begin with I started with a flat 10% chance, and figured out the above formula. Then found this while trying to check it. I used that knowledge to calculate the given chance by hand of any particular iteration, and they are as follows for iterations 1-19. (I did round most of these)

.1 .235 .388 .541 .6787 .791155 .8747 .932 .966 .9845 ..99379 .997821 .99935 .99984 .999967 .99999512 .99999951 (1 - (2.44 x 10^-8)) then 1.

I believe I calculated all these right. I got to each of them in the same manner as doing the above equation by hand over a lot of iterations. I knew that for instance the 10% repeated probability had to approach 1 asymptotically for instance. and hand calculations showed that to be true. Once I realized I was just multiplying .9 times it self for each iteration the formula was easy to devise. The one for the growing probability is not so easy. I provided the numbers so you can check any theory you come up with. Or if someone knows a proven formula that would be awesome too. I just cannot figure out any kind of elegant formula to express the change, like i could with the flat 10%. This may be stupid easy for someone on here so I figured I'd post it. I am a philosophy major, because I am too far into change to math now. But I love mathematics which is why I am tinkering around with this. Thanks for any help you can give.

I do not understand how this is pertinent. For what I am trying to figure out, the probability increases conceivably until it hits a certitude of 100% chance. I already calculated the probabilities, I just feel like there has to be a more elegant way of doing it than I did. That is what I am trying to figure out.

1. What is the "Probability of Die Landing on Value After x Days"?

The "Probability of Die Landing on Value After x Days" refers to the likelihood of a die landing on a specific value after a given number of days. It is a measure of the chances of obtaining a particular outcome when rolling a die multiple times over a period of time.

2. How is the "Probability of Die Landing on Value After x Days" calculated?

The "Probability of Die Landing on Value After x Days" is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes (i.e. the number of times the die landed on the desired value) by the total number of possible outcomes. This is expressed as a decimal or a percentage.

3. What factors can affect the "Probability of Die Landing on Value After x Days"?

The "Probability of Die Landing on Value After x Days" can be affected by various factors, including the number of sides on the die, the number of times the die is rolled, and any external factors such as wind or uneven surfaces that may influence the roll of the die.

4. How can the "Probability of Die Landing on Value After x Days" be used in real life?

The "Probability of Die Landing on Value After x Days" can be used in various situations, such as in games of chance or gambling, in statistical analysis and research studies, and in forecasting future events.

5. What are some common misconceptions about the "Probability of Die Landing on Value After x Days"?

One common misconception is that the probability of a die landing on a certain value increases with each roll. In reality, the probability remains the same with each roll, regardless of previous outcomes. Another misconception is that the probability of getting a certain value is affected by external factors, when in fact it is determined solely by the characteristics of the die and the number of times it is rolled.