MathType to create different types of mathematical documents

In summary: Alternatively, if you are comfortable editing files in a text editor, you can create a text file called 'mathtype.ltx' in the same folder as your MathType files and then use the 'TeX' export command to create a LaTeX document that will take care of all the line spacing adjustments for you.
TSN79
I'm using MathType to create different types of mathematical documents. I've encountered an annoying problem when writing an equation in line with some text. I'll try to illustrate it here:

bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla
bla bla bla [itex]yyyyyyyyyyyyy[/itex] bla bla bla
bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla

The problem is this that the line spacing between the second and third line gets a little bigger 'cause of the equation (probably to avoid the y to come in contact with the letters on the third line, even though I don't think they would actually touch). It doesn't happen in this illustration with latex, but in MS Word it does. This only happens when the equation involves letters that go below the baseline, like y, p, and j. With letters like a, b, c etc, everything works fine. I want to get past this problem because having an increased line spacing between two lines really stands out and gets noticed. I'm using MathType 5.2 by the way. Any sharp ones out there?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Do you need to use MathType? If you're familiar with latex, you might consider just typesetting all of your documents in latex. I believe latex is the standard typesetting program for science and math articles. My FORTRAN textbook was completely typeset in latex. I'm not familiar with MathType though, so perhaps someone else can solve your problem (sorry!).

If you're using Windows, a popular latex compiler is MikTex http://www.miktex.org/

Thanks for answering. I've only used latex in this forum, but if I need to write every equation by hand as one does here, I wouldn't get done in a million years! All that code...if there would be a more simple "point and click" way of doing it (like MathType) then I will consider it.

I actually managed to solve my problem in Word by myself :smile:

Last edited:
Your MathType can be used here, check out the "preferences... translators" and export TeX-LaTeX to a text file. All that needs to be added is the start and stop LaTex strings. Then post the text here. This one done in MathType:

[itex]
\mbox{\Huge \[
e^{jz} = cosz + jsinz\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,and\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\left( {e^{jz} } \right)^\nu = e^{j\nu z} = cos\nu z + jsin\nu z
\]}
[/itex]

How did you solve the problem in Word? I have the same problem.

In the Format menu and then under Paragraph you can adjust the line spacing. By default this is set to 'Single', but if you change this to 'Exactly' the spacing will stay the same no matter what. I type my document with a fontsize of 10, and the spacing then needs to be 12. If your in-line equation has fractions or something in it that makes it 'taller' you have to turn this off for that particular paragraph in order to make it visible.

from Mathtype Tech Support answer,
they say don't blame mathtype and change MS Word line spaceing setting into static.

------

Line spacing is actually a function of Word and not MathType. But, when a MathType object is created, Word interprets and treats it as though it is a simple picture file. Since this picture file has a bounding box (the extreme outside edge of the object itself) that extends beyond the end of any character, this may be one reason for the additional line space adjustment. It is suggested that you use the Word formatting commands to adjust your line spacing for a more uniform presentation.

1. How do I use MathType to create a mathematical equation in a word document?

First, open MathType and select the type of equation you want to create. Then, use the equation editor to input your equation by clicking on the symbols and functions or by typing them in. Once you are satisfied with your equation, click "Insert" to add it to your word document.

2. Can I use MathType to create complex equations with multiple variables and symbols?

Yes, MathType allows you to create complex equations with multiple variables and symbols. You can use the equation editor to input all the necessary components and adjust the layout and formatting as needed.

3. How do I add a MathType equation to a PowerPoint presentation?

To add a MathType equation to a PowerPoint presentation, first create your equation in MathType and then copy and paste it into your PowerPoint slide. You can also use the MathType add-in for PowerPoint to easily insert equations directly into your presentation.

4. Can I use MathType to create equations for online documents or presentations?

Yes, MathType offers a variety of options for creating equations in online documents or presentations. You can use the MathType add-in for Google Docs or the MathType for Google Slides add-in to easily insert equations into your online documents and presentations.

5. Is there a tutorial or guide available for using MathType to create different types of mathematical documents?

Yes, there are various tutorials and guides available online for using MathType to create different types of mathematical documents. You can also find user guides and video tutorials on the MathType website to help you get started with using the software.