Find an FM Radio station's wavelength, frequency given

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the wavelength and frequency of an FM radio station. The formula λ = v/f was used to calculate the wavelength, and the answer was determined to be 2.96. There was confusion about the value of v, which was eventually understood to be the speed of light for radio waves. The conversation also mentioned finding the frequency of a sound source with the same wavelength in 20 deg C air, which was calculated to be 116 Hz.
aliaze1
[SOLVED] Find an FM Radio station's wavelength, frequency given

Homework Statement

An FM radio station broadcasts at a frequency of 101.3 MHz. What is the wavelength?

Homework Equations

Vsound = 343m/s @ 20 deg C
λ = v/f

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the formula λ = v/f and got something similar to 3.38 * 10 ^ -6 meters...kinda small, and the MHz/Hz difference doesn't matter since that is a decimal place thing, which doesn't change the value...anyways..the computer says the answer is 2.96 ...anybody know why?so i moved on to the next subproblem:

What is the frequency of a sound source that produces the same wavelength in 20 deg C air?

The answer is 116 Hz , which makes sense once you use 2.96 and Vsound = 343 and manipulate the formula. And since the question asks about 20 deg C, I then thought that perhaps the first question was referring to 0 deg C, but still I didnt get 2.96, so it is still incorrect... what am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A radio station broadcasts radio waves which are EM waves not sound waves. Thus v for the radio station will be the speed of light.

Oooooooooooooooo

......oh lol

thanks!

1. What is the formula for finding an FM radio station's wavelength?

The formula for finding an FM radio station's wavelength is: wavelength = speed of light (in meters per second) / frequency (in Hertz).

2. How do I convert a frequency to wavelength?

To convert a frequency to wavelength, use the formula: wavelength = speed of light (in meters per second) / frequency (in Hertz). Plug in the frequency of the FM radio station in Hertz and solve for the wavelength in meters.

3. What is the typical range of frequencies for FM radio stations?

The typical range of frequencies for FM radio stations is 88 megahertz (MHz) to 108 MHz, or 88,000,000 Hertz to 108,000,000 Hertz.

4. How do I find the wavelength of a specific FM radio station?

To find the wavelength of a specific FM radio station, you will need to know its frequency. Once you have the frequency, use the formula: wavelength = speed of light (in meters per second) / frequency (in Hertz). Plug in the frequency of the FM radio station in Hertz and solve for the wavelength in meters.

5. Can I use the same formula to find the wavelength of AM radio stations?

No, the formula for finding the wavelength of an FM radio station cannot be used for AM radio stations. The speed of light and frequency ranges for AM radio stations are different, so a different formula must be used.