Quantum field theory vs particle physics

In summary, Quantum field theory (QFT) and particle physics are two separate topics that are often taught together in textbooks, creating the impression that they are closely related. However, QFT is a methodology that is used in various fields such as condensed matter physics, nuclear physics, and atomic/molecular physics, making it independent of particle physics. Therefore, it is recommended that QFT and particle physics should be taught separately to avoid this misconception.
Demystifier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
On this forum, quantum field theory (QFT) is a part of this subforum (Quantum Physics), while particle physics is a subject of another forum. These two topics - QFT and particle physics - are clearly separated.

On the other hand, most textbooks on QFT are also textbooks on particle physics, and vice versa. This common practice creates an impression that QFT and particle physics are intimately related topics that do not make much sense separately.

My questions for you is:
Do you think that QFT and particle physics should be taught separately, or together?

My opinion is that they should be taught separately. Just as solid state physics is usually taught separately from nonrelativistic QM. (Not to mention that QFT can be applied in solid state physics as well.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Demystifier said:
On this forum, quantum field theory (QFT) is a part of this subforum (Quantum Physics), while particle physics is a subject of another forum. These two topics - QFT and particle physics - are clearly separated.

On the other hand, most textbooks on QFT are also textbooks on particle physics, and vice versa. This common practice creates an impression that QFT and particle physics are intimately related topics that do not make much sense separately.

My questions for you is:
Do you think that QFT and particle physics should be taught separately, or together?

My opinion is that they should be taught separately. Just as solid state physics is usually taught separately from nonrelativistic QM. (Not to mention that QFT can be applied in solid state physics as well.)

This gives the impression that QFT is only used in particle physics. That is certainly not true. QFT is widely used in condensed matter physics, nuclear physics, atomic/molecular physics, etc.

QFT is a methodology. It is independent of particle physics.

Zz.

Oddly, my department don't seem to refer to QFT as a distinct and self-contained subject. This lot are very much into their contextual learning approach, where underlying theory is introduced as a tool for doing research in a specific field. Not that there is, to my knowledge, an undergraduate or even Masters level course in QFT. I'm taking Lagrangian Field Theory and Symmetry next academic year; presumably QFT builds on this but - obviously - is quantised.

What bothers me is how little undergrads actually do and know. If I'd graduated this year I would never have used an STM, never taken a course in lasers, never done any field theory, never known anything about what makes the Standard Model work. As it happens I do a little more of this in my Masters year, but it still seems inadequate.

ZapperZ said:
This gives the impression that QFT is only used in particle physics. That is certainly not true. QFT is widely used in condensed matter physics, nuclear physics, atomic/molecular physics, etc.

QFT is a methodology. It is independent of particle physics.
That is exactly what my point is. :smile:

yes they should probably be taught separately. QFT happens to be the most dominant and useful tool to explain particles, but it is also useful in other realms.

1. What is the difference between quantum field theory and particle physics?

Quantum field theory and particle physics are two branches of theoretical physics that aim to explain the fundamental building blocks of the universe. The main difference between the two is that quantum field theory describes the behavior of particles as fields, while particle physics focuses on the particles themselves.

2. How do quantum field theory and particle physics relate to each other?

Quantum field theory and particle physics are interconnected and complementary theories. Quantum field theory provides the mathematical framework for understanding the behavior of particles, while particle physics experiments contribute to the development and testing of quantum field theory.

3. Which one is more fundamental: quantum field theory or particle physics?

Both quantum field theory and particle physics are equally fundamental in our understanding of the universe. Quantum field theory provides a deeper understanding of the behavior of particles, while particle physics experiments provide empirical evidence to validate quantum field theory.

4. Can quantum field theory and particle physics explain the same phenomena?

Yes, both quantum field theory and particle physics can explain the same phenomena. However, quantum field theory is considered to be a more fundamental theory as it provides a more complete and consistent description of the behavior of particles.

5. Which one is more applicable: quantum field theory or particle physics?

Both quantum field theory and particle physics have numerous applications in various fields, such as cosmology, condensed matter physics, and high-energy physics. However, quantum field theory is more widely applicable as it provides a more general framework for understanding the behavior of particles in different contexts.