Einstein's Theory of Relativity: What if E=mc2 Was Wrong?

In summary, if Einstein's theory of E=mc2 were wrong, it would have a pretty bad effect on the laws of physics as we know them.
.euphoria
Okay, now I know something like this may seem improbable.
But what would happen if Einstein's theory of E=mc2 was wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Theories aren't classified as "right" or "wrong". They're all wrong, but some are less wrong than others, in the sense that they make better predictions about results of experiments. We already know that this particular theory makes fantastically accurate predictions, so I don't see how to make sense of the question.

Okay, Let's say we could accelerate towards c without our mass becoming infinite. Would this have implications on the lawsof physics as we know it?

Yes, **** would break, badly.

.euphoria said:
Okay, Let's say we could accelerate towards c without our mass becoming infinite. Would this have implications on the laws of physics as we know it?

To be more accurate, you would want to talk about accelerating beyond c such that the energy wouldn't have to become infinite. If you were able to smoothly cross the barrier from slower than the speed of light to greater, it would be pretty bad. One problem is that you can derive the implications of special relativity using such unbelievably basic starting points, violating it would mean those basic ideas are wrong. The homogeneity and isotropy of space-time would be out the window or require modifications... but if there were such things as preferred directions, what does that mean?

So basically, Pretty much everything we know about the laws of physics would be compromised and have to be re-thought?

Also one question still remains, What would happen to the concept of time if one could pass light speed? Would time dilation still happen at speeds greater than c or is it limited to below light speeds?

.euphoria said:
This is like asking what would happen if we discover that we've been wrong all this time to think that stuff we drop fall towards the ground, and that they actually just float at a constant distance from the ground.

.euphoria said:
Okay, Let's say we could accelerate towards c without our mass becoming infinite. Would this have implications on the lawsof physics as we know it?
OK, it makes sense to ask what would it would mean if special relativity makes bad predictions about massive objects that have been accelerated to speeds extremely close to c. It would mean that both special and general relativity would have to be replaced by more accurate theories (but we already know that they need to be replaced, because SR can't handle gravity and GR can't handle quantum effects).
.euphoria said:
What would happen to the concept of time if one could pass light speed? Would time dilation still happen at speeds greater than c or is it limited to below light speeds?
If relativity didn't say what it says, it wouldn't be relativity, would it? Are you asking us to use another theory to answer the question? Which theory would you like us to use?

Last edited:
That the speed of light is some immutable barrier seems intuitively ridiculous.
c is very SLOW.

I think that the potential of "instantaneous" should be considered as a viable concept.

"Frame-dragging" anyone? c changes in that warped space-time local environment.

.euphoria said:

But is it true? For photons, for instance, m=0, but E>0.

arkajad said:
But is it true? For photons, for instance, m=0, but E>0.

energy of light is due to its frequency
E= h*f

E= h*c/L
h=plancks constant, c=speed of light
f = frequency = c/L, L=wavelength
E= h*(C/L)
Equating it to eeinsteins mass
mc^2= h*(c/L)
m= h/(c*L)
Hence it is like apparent mass. Yes photon has mass and it depends upon wavelength.

Hyperspace2 said:
Yes photon has mass and it depends upon wavelength.

A mass moving with the velocity of light?

OK, let's not change this thread into issues about photon mass. This has been sufficiently addressed in many threads, and in our FAQ in the General Physics forum (read it!). So cease this line of discussion right now.

Zz.

Wasn't E=mc^2 sufficiently addressed in many threads?

arkajad said:
Wasn't E=mc^2 sufficiently addressed in many threads?

Yes, but at least, that is relevant to the OP's question. Discussing about photon mass isn't, especially when it is getting into the validity of the idea of "relativistic" mass. Read the OP's question again.

And taking about the OP's question, I think this thread is rather moot. We can do an infinite amount of speculation on what if such-and-such is wrong. I see very little informational or educational value out of something like this. I can see research-front scientists asking such questions due to plausible reasons, but I don't see how someone who are just looking into such a thing would gain anything of any value.

Zz.

I agree, but I thought wouldn't it be better to replace the potentially misleading, unless taken in a proper context, E=mc^2 formula with a rigorous and clear

[URL]http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/f/6/5/f653e9c4c421742eebeca629813279d0.png[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
arkajad said:
I agree, but I thought wouldn't it be better to replace the potentially misleading, unless taken in a proper context, E=mc^2 formula with a rigorous and clear

[PLAIN]http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/f/6/5/f653e9c4c421742eebeca629813279d0.png[/QUOTE] [Broken]

Don't confuse what the OP asked with the mistake that Hyperspace2 made. We don't know yet if the OP either knows about the full equation, or if the question is really specific that to the mass-energy relation. Often, threads like this are made worse by responses that assume way too much and cover too broad of an area.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
ZapperZ said:
Often, threads like this are made worse by responses that assume way too much and cover too broad of an area.

Zz.

Often they get worse, but sometimes they get better. If we do not know what the OP knows, why not to point him out in a good direction? It will not make any harm, will it?

arkajad said:
A mass moving with the velocity of light?

Evidences

eeinstein says mass and energy are equivalent.
Light is deflected by gravity. etc etc

Fredrik said:
This is like asking what would happen if we discover that we've been wrong all this time to think that stuff we drop fall towards the ground, and that they actually just float at a constant distance from the ground.

OK, it makes sense to ask what would it would mean if special relativity makes bad predictions about massive objects that have been accelerated to speeds extremely close to c. It would mean that both special and general relativity would have to be replaced by more accurate theories (but we already know that they need to be replaced, because SR can't handle gravity and GR can't handle quantum effects).

If relativity didn't say what it says, it wouldn't be relativity, would it? Are you asking us to use another theory to answer the question? Which theory would you like us to use?

I'm not asking for you to create a new theory all together. I'm just curious as to what would happen to pretty much everything we know about relitivistic physics? Assuming that E=mc^2 was wrong?

Hyperspace2 said:
Evidences

eeinstein says mass and energy are equivalent.
Light is deflected by gravity. etc etc

You really need to read the FAQ. You are making a horrible misinterpretation. That's like saying a tomato has dirt, just because it grew out of the ground.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
You really need to read the FAQ. You are making a horrible misinterpretation. That's like saying a tomato has dirt, just because it grew out of the ground.

Zz.

Sorry:approve:

.euphoria said:
I'm not asking for you to create a new theory all together. I'm just curious as to what would happen to pretty much everything we know about relitivistic physics? Assuming that E=mc^2 was wrong?
What would happen if known physics were wrong? It would be wrong. GPS devices would retroactively not work; people who thought they'd driven safely to work this morning will discover they have in fact driven into a lake.

What is it you want to hear?

Please ask an answerable question.

.euphoria said:
So what theory are you asking me to use?

I know that's what you asked, but the question doesn't make sense. It's like asking what would happen to non-relativistic physics if we discover that car keys fall away from the ground when they're dropped. How would you answer that question? If we discover that, we have a lot bigger problems than what some theory says. We would have to figure out how and why we came to the incorrect conclusion that car keys fall towards the ground in all previous experiments.

1. What is Einstein's theory of relativity?

Einstein's theory of relativity is a scientific theory that explains the relationship between space and time, as well as the concept of gravity. It consists of two main theories: the special theory of relativity, which deals with objects moving at a constant speed, and the general theory of relativity, which includes the effects of gravity on space and time.

2. What does E=mc2 mean?

E=mc2 is an equation from Einstein's theory of relativity that shows the relationship between mass (m) and energy (E). It states that energy is equal to the mass of an object (m) multiplied by the speed of light squared (c2).

3. How is E=mc2 used in everyday life?

E=mc2 is used in everyday life in various ways, such as in nuclear power plants, where energy is generated through the conversion of mass into energy. It is also used in medical imaging technologies, such as PET scans, which use the equation to convert the energy emitted by radioactive substances into images of the body's internal structures.

4. What if E=mc2 was wrong?

If E=mc2 was wrong, it would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It would mean that our current theories and equations regarding energy and mass are incorrect, and we would need to come up with new theories to explain the relationship between the two. However, the equation has been extensively tested and has been proven to be accurate, so it is highly unlikely that it is wrong.

5. How has Einstein's theory of relativity impacted science and technology?

Einstein's theory of relativity has had a significant impact on science and technology. It has led to the development of new technologies, such as GPS systems, which use the theory's principles to accurately calculate and adjust for time dilation caused by the Earth's gravitational field. It has also advanced our understanding of the universe, leading to breakthroughs in astrophysics and cosmology.