Understanding eg and t2g Symmetry in DOS Graphics

• Thread starter Hyla Brook
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dos
In summary, the conversation discusses the identification of the eg and t2g bands in DOS graphics of transition metal complexes. The authors often point out the symmetry of these bands based on their electron placement, which can provide information on spin-state and electronic structure. However, it can be difficult to determine the bands from a single d-projected DOS graph. Some methods for making an educated guess include looking at the formal electron configuration, considering the bandwidth and local symmetry, and comparing the area under the peaks. Ultimately, the only sure way to identify the bands is by doing individual projections.
Hyla Brook
Dear all,

I found in many references the authors pointed out the eg and t2g band in the DOS graphics, and wrote in the text accordingly that it had eg symmetry (or t2g symmetry). How did they conclude that just from one Dos graphics (sometimes d projected)?

Best regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
i really don't know what a DOS graphics is. But in transition metal complexes the electrons in the d orbital are usually placed in Eg (Eg is above T2g) and T2g states. And the way these electrons are placed gives information on spin-state and electronic structure as well.
hope it helps.

Rajini said:
Hi,
i really don't know what a DOS graphics is. But in transition metal complexes the electrons in the d orbital are usually placed in Eg (Eg is above T2g) and T2g states. And the way these electrons are placed gives information on spin-state and electronic structure as well.
hope it helps.

Hi, Rajini. Thank you for your reply. DOS means density of states. I agree with you that Eg is above T2g, but what I feel confused is that how can one know which peaks correspond to, for example, the Eg band from a single d-projected DOS graph? I guess I should provide a picture here for illustration(attachment). This is the spin polarized d-project DOS graph of Ni in Ni2MnGa(L21 structure), the author pointed out the eg peaks in it(saying in the text that they have the dz^2 and d(x^2-y^2) character). What the base is this?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    8 KB · Views: 946
Hi,
Yes, it is known that DOS means density of (phonon) states. When you appended 'graphics' to DOS i was confused. For your question i really don't know the answer. Please read that paper fully..maybe somewhere they gave some reference..or you can lookup into solid-state physics books. sorry.

The eg manifold generally consists of the d(x^2-y^2) and the dz^2, whereas the t2g manifold consists of dxy, dyz, dxz. You could tell which is which by doing the individual projections. Also, since t2g contains 3 states and eg only contains 2, you could hazard a guess just by which set of peaks has greater area under them.

kanato said:
The eg manifold generally consists of the d(x^2-y^2) and the dz^2, whereas the t2g manifold consists of dxy, dyz, dxz. You could tell which is which by doing the individual projections. Also, since t2g contains 3 states and eg only contains 2, you could hazard a guess just by which set of peaks has greater area under them.

Hi, Kanato. You are right if individual projections could be made, we could tell the eg and t2g. I think that depends on the whether the program one use for calculation could do that job. For the second way you propose, it is a good idea that inspires me, and the question is, could we distinguish what we are looking for from the other peaks and what are the relative energy level of them? If this is solved, an appropriate guess could be made, I think.

The only sure fire way to identify the t2g vs. eg states is by doing the projections. There are some things you can look for to make an educated guess otherwise, such as looking at the formal electron configuration. Typically d states have a smaller bandwidth than s or p states, so you expect large peaks to be them. Also, within LDA a partially filled d subshell will almost always straddle the Fermi level. From there, if the DOS is clean enough you can make a guess as to which is eg or t2g based on the area. You can also consider the local symmetry, if you have a transition metal within an octahedron of anions, the orbitals which point directly toward those anions (the eg) will have a larger Coulomb repulsion with the anions as compared to the t2g states which have their density in pointing at the faces of the octahedron. This resulting in the eg being higher in energy.

But I stress again that the only way to know for sure is to do the projections.

kanato said:
The only sure fire way to identify the t2g vs. eg states is by doing the projections. There are some things you can look for to make an educated guess otherwise, such as looking at the formal electron configuration. Typically d states have a smaller bandwidth than s or p states, so you expect large peaks to be them. Also, within LDA a partially filled d subshell will almost always straddle the Fermi level. From there, if the DOS is clean enough you can make a guess as to which is eg or t2g based on the area. You can also consider the local symmetry, if you have a transition metal within an octahedron of anions, the orbitals which point directly toward those anions (the eg) will have a larger Coulomb repulsion with the anions as compared to the t2g states which have their density in pointing at the faces of the octahedron. This resulting in the eg being higher in energy.

But I stress again that the only way to know for sure is to do the projections.

Many thanks to you for the very nice discussion!

1. What is eg and t2g symmetry in DOS graphics?

Eg and t2g symmetry in DOS graphics refer to the two types of symmetry found in the density of states (DOS) graphs, which are used to visualize the distribution of electronic states in a material. Eg symmetry refers to the symmetry along the x and y axes, while t2g symmetry refers to the symmetry along the z axis.

2. How is eg and t2g symmetry determined in DOS graphics?

Eg and t2g symmetry are determined based on the orientation of the material's crystal lattice and the arrangement of its electronic orbitals. The symmetry is reflected in the shape and orientation of the peaks and valleys in the DOS graph.

3. Why is understanding eg and t2g symmetry important in DOS graphics?

Understanding eg and t2g symmetry in DOS graphics can provide insight into the electronic properties of a material, such as its band structure and energy levels. This information is valuable in studying the behavior and potential applications of the material.

4. What are some common applications of eg and t2g symmetry in DOS graphics?

Eg and t2g symmetry in DOS graphics are commonly used in the fields of materials science and condensed matter physics to study the electronic properties of materials, such as metals, semiconductors, and insulators. They are also useful in designing electronic devices and understanding their performance.

5. Are there any limitations to using eg and t2g symmetry in DOS graphics?

While eg and t2g symmetry can provide valuable information about a material's electronic properties, they are not the only factors that determine its behavior. Other factors, such as spin and orbital interactions, must also be taken into account for a complete understanding of the material's electronic properties.