Interchange of limit operations

In summary, the question asks for a sequence of continuous functions such that the limit function is continuous at zero but discontinuous at some other point. I found a sequence which is not uniformly convergent but the two limits are equal.
ait.abd

Homework Statement

Find a sequence of continuous functions [tex]f_n: R \rightarrow R[/tex] such that [tex]lim_{x \rightarrow 0}lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}f_n(x) [/tex] and [tex]lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}lim_{x \rightarrow 0}f_n(x) [/tex] exist and are unequal.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I need a sequence of continuous functions that has a limit function which is continuous at zero but discontinuous at some other point. In that case, the sequence of functions will not be uniformly convergent and we will not have these limits equal. But I don't know what function can fulfill this criteria.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, can you give a sequence which is not uniformly convergent?

Yeah I can but the limits turn out to be equal. For example,
[tex] f_n(x) = (cos(x))^n[/tex]
[tex] lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}lim_{x \rightarrow 0} f_n = 1 [/tex]
[tex] lim_{x \rightarrow 0}lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} f_n = 1 [/tex]
This sequence is not uniformly convergent but the two limits are equal. The question requires them to be UNEQUAL.

In above post, there is a mistake.
[tex] lim_{x \rightarrow 0} lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} f_n(x) [/tex] doesn't exist. The question requires them to EXIST.

Are you certain that it doesn't exist? I think that the limit does exist and equals zero.

You do have to restrict the function to [-pi,pi], otherwise there is no limit...

micromass said:
Are you certain that it doesn't exist? I think that the limit does exist and equals zero.

You do have to restrict the function to [-pi,pi], otherwise there is no limit...

Let's say we restrict the sequence to [-pi,pi] and say it is zero everywhere else (because we have to define it on R and not a subset of it).

Yes it doesn't exist. As you can see the limit function is following
[tex]lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}f_n(x) = 1 for x=0[/tex]
[tex]lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}f_n(x) = 0 , elsewhere} [/tex]

So the limit function is discontinuous at x=0 and [tex] lim_{x \rightarrow 0} f(x) [/tex] doesn't exist. By the way, it is the very first question of the exercise so it should be easy (I think so :confused: ) I don't know where I'm missing the point.

So, the limit function is

[tex]f(0)=1~\text{and}~f(x)=0~\text{if}~x\neq 0[/tex].

Then the limit [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}{f(x)}[/tex] certainly exists (and it equals 0)! You can easily prove this with the definition of limit...

micromass said:
So, the limit function is

[tex]f(0)=1~\text{and}~f(x)=0~\text{if}~x\neq 0[/tex].

Then the limit [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}{f(x)}[/tex] certainly exists (and it equals 0)! You can easily prove this with the definition of limit...

Don't mind my asking very basic questions because i think my definition of limit is flawed.
What I know is that limit is defined, in above case, when f is defined on C{0} i.e. R - {0}. In this case, we can say limit x approaches 0 is zero as you described. But, since function is defined on x=0, shouldn't we take f(0) as limit ? Also, if we take it as a limit as you say, shouldn't the limit be different if we approach it from either side i.e. (-pi,0) and [0, pi). So a limit is not really defined here?

No, the limit of f is independent of f(0). The limit of a function is what the function value should be to make the function continuous. In our situation, we have that the function is 0, except in the point zero. So if f(0)=0 (which is not the case), then the function f would be continuous. This means that the limit of f equals 0.

micromass said:
No, the limit of f is independent of f(0). The limit of a function is what the function value should be to make the function continuous. In our situation, we have that the function is 0, except in the point zero. So if f(0)=0 (which is not the case), then the function f would be continuous. This means that the limit of f equals 0.

I got it now ...and in that case limit will be zero irrespective of the direction we use to approach x=0. Thank you very much micromass it really helped. Thanks again.

1. What is the interchange of limit operations?

The interchange of limit operations is a mathematical principle that states that under certain conditions, the order in which limits are taken does not affect the final result. In other words, the limit of a function can be taken as a function of the limit of another function.

2. What are the conditions for the interchange of limit operations to hold?

The conditions for the interchange of limit operations to hold are that both limits must exist and the limits must be finite. Additionally, the functions involved must be continuous and the limit operations must be independent of each other.

3. What are some examples of the interchange of limit operations?

One example of the interchange of limit operations is when taking the limit of a sum or difference of two functions, the limit can be taken separately for each function and then added or subtracted afterwards. Another example is when taking the limit of a product or quotient of two functions, the limit can be taken separately for each function and then multiplied or divided afterwards.

4. Are there any cases where the interchange of limit operations does not hold?

Yes, there are cases where the interchange of limit operations does not hold. One example is when dealing with infinite limits or limits at infinity, where the order in which the limits are taken can affect the final result. Another example is when dealing with oscillating functions, where the limit may not exist if the order of the limit operations is changed.

5. How is the interchange of limit operations used in practical applications?

The interchange of limit operations is used in many practical applications, particularly in calculus and engineering. It allows for easier evaluation of limits and can simplify problem-solving. It is also used in various mathematical proofs and in the development of new mathematical theories and concepts.