Contemporary Engineering Issues

In summary, the conversation revolves around the search for a contemporary engineering issue to write a paper about and give a brief presentation on. The individual suggests using Google to find potential topics, with over 2 million results for "contemporary issues in mechanical engineering." However, they express a desire for input from people with an interest in engineering rather than just a list from a search engine. The topic of carbon sequestration is chosen, but later the idea of hypersonic combustion is mentioned as another possibility. The conversation also touches on the issue of students asking for help with schoolwork and the importance of putting in effort and research before seeking assistance.
Engineer_Phil
I am looking for ideas for a contemporary engineering issue to write a paper about and give a brief presentation on.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Engineer_Phil said:
I am looking for ideas for a contemporary engineering issue to write a paper about and give a brief presentation on.

What are your initial ideas? Which fields of engineering?

When I entered the terms “contemporary issues in mechanical engineering” (as a trial example) in Google search I got about 2,870,000 results in 0.28 seconds. A few sites I visited there had lists of over eighty specific contemporary issues. Have you tried this?

Bobbywhy said:
When I entered the terms “contemporary issues in mechanical engineering” (as a trial example) in Google search I got about 2,870,000 results in 0.28 seconds. A few sites I visited there had lists of over eighty specific contemporary issues. Have you tried this?

Does google have an option to show me what people would find most interesting? I asked because I wanted input from people that have an interest in engineering, not a mindless list from a search engine.

I have decided that carbon sequestation would be a good topic to use.

Engineer_Phil said:
Does google have an option to show me what people would find most interesting? I asked because I wanted input from people that have an interest in engineering, not a mindless list from a search engine.

Please mellow the attitude. One of the themes of the PF is that we expect people to do work and research on their own before asking questions here. And we expect to see evidence of those efforts in your original post (OP). That's why I asked the question that I did -- to see what you had done on your own.

We get people coming here all the time trying to get us to do their schoolwork for them, and we try to avoid doing that. Glad you found something that you like as a topic.

Last edited:
berkeman said:
Please watch the attitude. One of the themes of the PF is that we expect people to do work and research on their own before asking questions here. And we expect to see evidence of those efforts in your original post (OP). That's why I asked the question that I did -- to see what you had done on your own.

We get people coming here all the time trying to get us to do their schoolwork for them, and we try to avoid doing that. Glad you found something that you like as a topic.

I had no problem with your response, and I understand why you asked the question. The fact is that I was in a hurry when I made the OP, but I should have put more details. Any attitude that I had was directed towards the lecture that I received any how Google can give million or billions of results in a fraction of a second. Sorry I even asked the question.

Hypersonic combustion.

Engineer_Phil said:

I like the idea of carbon sequestation. Another topic along these same lines is fracing (hydrofracturing) in the production of natural gas from shales. This is a big issue in the northeast right now, and has global warming as well as environmental geological implications.

I wish I would have thought of the Hypersonic Combustion issue earlier. I rather loathe global warming discussions. But its a hot item right now, and I've already committed to the carbon sequestration topic.

Its not like anyone would even know that was an issue unless you're studying fluids or combustion. I like your pun by the way.

1. What are some current challenges faced by contemporary engineering?

Contemporary engineering faces a wide range of challenges, including climate change, sustainability, and the integration of advanced technologies. Other common issues include the need for improved infrastructure and transportation, cyber security, and ethical considerations in the development and use of new technologies.

2. How does contemporary engineering impact society?

The impact of contemporary engineering on society is significant. Engineers play a crucial role in developing new technologies and systems that improve our daily lives, from transportation and communication to healthcare and energy. However, there are also concerns about the potential negative impacts of engineering, such as environmental harm and societal inequality.

3. What role do ethical considerations play in contemporary engineering?

Ethical considerations are an important aspect of contemporary engineering. Engineers must consider the potential impacts of their work on society, the environment, and future generations. This includes ethical considerations related to safety, security, privacy, and social responsibility.

4. How does contemporary engineering contribute to global sustainability?

Contemporary engineering plays a crucial role in addressing global sustainability challenges. Engineers are developing innovative solutions to reduce carbon emissions and promote renewable energy sources. They are also working on sustainable transportation, waste management, and other critical areas to create a more sustainable future.

5. What skills are essential for engineers to tackle contemporary engineering issues?

In addition to technical knowledge, engineers must possess strong critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills to effectively tackle contemporary engineering issues. They also need to be adaptable and open to learning new technologies and approaches in order to stay current with the rapidly evolving field of engineering.