Electricity from a kerosene/gas mantle?

• Thread starter Stanislaus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electricity
In summary: I also looked into the stirling engine and it looks like it would be a lot harder to find then I thought. I have revised my plan to use a thermionic generator instead.In summary, the article mentions that thermoelectrics only convert a small amount of energy from the fuel into light, which means that a lot of heat is lost. The article also says that thermionic devices are efficient in theory but currently poor in practise. The revised plan is to use a thermionic generator instead.
Stanislaus
Like the title says I was wondering if it would be possible to generate a couple of watts of electricity from a kerosene or gas mantle. Less than 0.5% of the energy in the fuel is being converted to light which means that in the 33kJ per mL of kerosene nearly 9 watts is being lost as heat. Even at very low efficiency that amount adds up if you're using a couple of mL an hour.

I've thought of 4 ways that this could maybe be done, 3 that use heat differentials and 1 which uses the fuel itself.

Round shaped thermoelectric module to cover mantle.
Thermionic generators (which seem like more efficient thermoelectrics)
Stirling engines (moving parts and hard to find)
The last way is to actually use the gas as fuel for a solid oxide fuel cell.

At the moment thermoelectrics seem to be it because I can't seem to find any SOFC in that power range and I can't seem to find much of anything regarding thermionic generators. I would really appreciate some help on finding places which sell these sort of things (if they sell them at all) especially thermionics because like I said, they seem more efficient than thermoelectrics.

Thank you for reading.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The Soviets had some functioning kero lamp generators, check out:
http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/POWER/thermoelectric/thermoelectric.htm#rl All the lamps appear to be glass chimney-draught rather than pressurised. The devices appear to extract heat through the glass chimney walls, which isn't very efficient. ( I may be misreading the photographs though.) Also look at the biolite stove at the bottom of the page. I really want one!

Thermoionic devices are efficient in theory but currently poor in practise, unless you're doing something exotic like injecting caesium ions into your vacuum. That might change in the future though, see http://phys.org/news/2013-12-highly-efficient-thermoelectronic.html

Hope this is of use.

I remember reading about thermoelectric generators run on sailing boats, I am not sure if they used their own burner, or if they were attached to the heater. It shouldn't be difficult to google them.

Edit: actually it is difficult to google them, as hits are dominated by Peltier devices. But I found this: http://www.mountainviewoffgridliving.com/Kimberly-Stove.php

Bodissey said:
The Soviets had some functioning kero lamp generators, check out:
http://www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/POWER/thermoelectric/thermoelectric.htm#rl All the lamps appear to be glass chimney-draught rather than pressurised. The devices appear to extract heat through the glass chimney walls, which isn't very efficient. ( I may be misreading the photographs though.) Also look at the biolite stove at the bottom of the page. I really want one!

Thermoionic devices are efficient in theory but currently poor in practise, unless you're doing something exotic like injecting caesium ions into your vacuum. That might change in the future though, see http://phys.org/news/2013-12-highly-efficient-thermoelectronic.html

Hope this is of use.

I did come across the designs of those generators during my initial research and like you I did think the placing was the not the best though it is explained that by doing it that way you also get to use the light of the lamp. Even with the placement and lamp they're still generating 2 watts which makes me confident that much more power can be generated using my idea. I don't care about the light from the mantle, only the heat so any potential generator can be placed right next to the heat source.

In the article you linked to it says 'practical thermionic generators have reached efficiencies of about 10 percent' which I think is double the efficiency of thermoelectrics so shouldn't it be possible to get hold of them.

I would say that it is possible to generate electricity from a kerosene or gas mantle, but the efficiency would be very low. The methods you have mentioned, such as using thermoelectric modules, thermionic generators, Stirling engines, and solid oxide fuel cells, are all viable options. However, the efficiency of these devices would be limited by the low energy conversion of the fuel source, as mentioned in the post.

In terms of finding places that sell these devices, I would recommend searching for scientific equipment suppliers or specialized energy companies. It may also be helpful to consult with experts in the field of energy conversion to get more specific recommendations.

Overall, while it is possible to generate electricity from a kerosene or gas mantle, it may not be the most efficient or cost-effective method. It would be important to consider the potential environmental impacts and explore other alternative energy sources that may be more sustainable and efficient.

1. How does a kerosene/gas mantle produce electricity?

A kerosene/gas mantle produces electricity through a process called incandescence. When the mantle is heated, the kerosene or gas vaporizes and reacts with oxygen to produce a bright flame. This flame heats up the mantle, which is made of a special fabric coated with metallic oxides. The heat causes the metallic oxides to glow, producing light and heat energy.

2. What is the efficiency of electricity production from a kerosene/gas mantle?

The efficiency of electricity production from a kerosene/gas mantle is typically around 1-2%. This means that only a small percentage of the energy produced by the burning fuel is converted into electricity. The majority of the energy is lost as heat and light.

3. How does the quality of the kerosene/gas affect electricity production?

The quality of the kerosene or gas used in a mantle can greatly affect the electricity production. Impurities in the fuel can cause the flame to burn unevenly, resulting in a lower efficiency and inconsistent electricity production. It is important to use high quality, clean fuel for optimal electricity production.

4. What are the potential safety hazards of using a kerosene/gas mantle for electricity production?

There are several potential safety hazards associated with using a kerosene/gas mantle for electricity production. These include the risk of fire or explosion due to the use of flammable fuel, the release of harmful gases such as carbon monoxide, and the risk of burns from the hot mantle. It is important to follow safety precautions and use the mantle in a well-ventilated area.

5. Are there any alternative methods for producing electricity from kerosene/gas?

Yes, there are alternative methods for producing electricity from kerosene or gas. One option is to use a generator, which converts the mechanical energy of a rotating turbine into electricity. Another option is to use solar panels, which convert sunlight into electricity. Both of these methods are more efficient and less hazardous than using a kerosene/gas mantle for electricity production.