Football Throwing Problem: Solving for Horizontal Catch Distance

• Thread starter ckymike
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about trying to solve a problem involving a football being thrown at an angle and the receiver catching it at the same level. The person asking for help is struggling and thinks the range formula might be needed. They are reminded to show their work and given a hint to find the time the ball is in the air. The problem is clarified to be related to 2D motion and it is suggested to use one of the four formulas in kinematics to solve it.
ckymike
I get the feeling this one is really easy but I am having a hard time. I am trying to figure this out but its making me go nuts. I think you might have to use the range formula but I am not 100 percent sure. thanks in advance

A football is thrown toward a receiver with an initial speed of 20 m/s at an angle of 25° above the horizontal. At what horizontal distance the receiver should be to catch the football at the level at which it was thrown?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
you should really show some work before asking for help and yes this is a really easy one.

HINT: finding the time the ball is in the air is key to calculating the range.

You just need to substitute the given variables in the formula to find range. I don't know what is difficult here? Please make clear the part you have not understood if you want us to explain you something. We cannot read your mind, only what you write.

This is a qn on 2D motion, You can solve it using one of the four formulas in kinematics.. See what are the given quantities and what is it that u are finding.

1. What is the "Football Throwing Problem"?

The "Football Throwing Problem" refers to the challenge of determining the horizontal distance a football will travel before being caught by a receiver, given the initial throwing velocity and angle.

2. Why is it important to solve for horizontal catch distance in football?

Knowing the horizontal catch distance allows players and coaches to accurately plan and execute passing plays, increasing the chances of successful completions and ultimately, scoring points.

3. How do you solve for horizontal catch distance in football?

The horizontal catch distance can be calculated using the equation d = v02sin(2θ)/g, where d is the distance, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the throwing angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. Alternatively, it can also be solved through computer simulations or experimental data.

4. What factors can affect the horizontal catch distance in football?

The horizontal catch distance can be influenced by the initial throwing velocity, throwing angle, air resistance, and wind conditions. The physical attributes of the players involved, such as height and arm strength, can also play a role.

5. Are there any limitations to solving for horizontal catch distance in football?

The calculation for horizontal catch distance assumes a perfect throw and catch, and does not account for other variables such as the movement of players on the field. It also assumes a flat, uniform playing surface and may not accurately reflect the outcome in real-life game situations.