Are These Definitions of Astronomical Terms Accurate for a Physics Class?

• Thread starter stunner5000pt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Definitions
In summary, the sunspot number is a measure of solar activity, photodetachment is the ejection of an electron from a negative ion, the chromosphere is a layer of the sun's atmosphere, the interplanetary magnetic field is the solar magnetic field that extends throughout the solar system, Jean's criterion is a physical law related to the collapse of a dense gas or dust cloud, and optical depth is a measure of transparency commonly used in the Beer-Lambert law.
stunner5000pt
(not sure if this is the appropriate forum)
of astronomical terms
for our 'physics of the space environment' class we do not have a textbook... as such looking definitions is hard because we have to formulate or own from teh notes and it may be wrong...

ANyway i was wondering if these definition were correct
the italics denote that i am not sure about them

Explain what it is meant, using equations where appropirate

Sunspot number - a quantity that measures the number and size of sunspots on the sun

photodetachment
- ejection of electron from a negative ion upon photoexcitiation.

Chromosphere - Thin layer of solar atmosphere just above the photosphere 10,000 km deep and below the corona. The temperature increases from 6000 C at the bottom to 20 000 C at the the top.

Interplanetary magnetic Field - Solar magnetic field embedded in solar wind and considered to be frozen in by virtue of the highly conductive solar wind plasma. It extends throughout the solar system and is thus interplanetary

Jean's Criterion - A relatively dense cloud will collapse if its own thermal energy does not balance its own gravitaitional potential energy

Optical Depth - measure of the transparency defined as a fraction of radiation that is scattered between a point and observer. (Do i have to state its insignificance in the beer lambert law?)

Physics news on Phys.org

Sunspot number - Yes, this is generally correct. The sunspot number is a measure of the number of sunspots on the sun's surface, which can indicate the level of solar activity and can have effects on Earth's climate and communication systems. It is calculated by counting the number of sunspot groups and individual sunspots on the sun's surface.

Photodetachment - This is also correct. Photodetachment is the process in which an electron is ejected from a negative ion upon absorption of a photon or light particle. It can occur in various systems, such as in the Earth's atmosphere, in interstellar clouds, and in laboratory experiments.

Chromosphere - This definition is generally correct. The chromosphere is a layer of the sun's atmosphere located just above the photosphere, the visible surface of the sun. It has a depth of about 10,000 km and is characterized by a temperature increase from 6000 C at the bottom to 20,000 C at the top. This layer is also responsible for producing the red color seen during a solar eclipse.

Interplanetary Magnetic Field - Your definition is correct. The interplanetary magnetic field is the solar magnetic field that extends throughout the solar system and is carried by the solar wind. It is considered to be "frozen in" to the highly conductive plasma of the solar wind.

Jean's Criterion - This is also correct. Jean's criterion is a physical law that states that a relatively dense cloud of gas or dust will collapse under its own gravity if its thermal energy is not sufficient to balance its gravitational potential energy. This is an important concept in the formation of stars and planets.

Optical Depth - Your definition is generally correct. Optical depth is a measure of the transparency of a medium, defined as the fraction of radiation that is scattered between a point and an observer. It is commonly used in the Beer-Lambert law, which describes the attenuation of light as it passes through a material.

1. What is the purpose of looking for definitions?

The purpose of looking for definitions is to gain a better understanding of a specific concept or term. Definitions provide a clear and concise explanation of what something means, making it easier to comprehend and use in a scientific context.

2. Where can I find reliable definitions for scientific terms?

Reliable definitions for scientific terms can be found in reputable scientific journals, textbooks, and online databases. It is important to ensure that the source is credible and that the definition is supported by evidence and research.

3. How do I know if a definition is accurate?

Accurate definitions are based on factual information and supported by evidence. It is important to cross-reference definitions from multiple sources to ensure accuracy. Additionally, seeking guidance from experts in the field can also help verify the accuracy of a definition.

4. Can definitions change over time?

Yes, definitions can change over time as new research and discoveries are made. As our understanding of scientific concepts evolves, so do their definitions. It is important to stay updated on the latest definitions in order to accurately communicate and understand scientific ideas.

5. How do I use definitions in my scientific research?

Definitions are crucial in scientific research as they provide a foundation for understanding and communicating ideas. When conducting research, it is important to use well-defined terms and to clearly explain any definitions used in your work.

Back