Related rates - some problems =)

In summary, the rate the wave travels outwards is the rate of the changing radius, dr/dt, and for the two questions, we can use the pythagorean theorem and express the rate of change in terms of the given values. It is not necessary to calculate the height of the trough, as the rate of change will not depend on it once the water reaches a height of 1m. The rate at which the water level is rising is given by dx/dt = (dx/dV)(dV/dt), where dV/dt is the rate at which water is being poured in and dx/dV can be determined by expressing x in terms of V. For the softball question, the rate at which the distance between
eekoz
I've been practicing related rates problems, and I want to confirm a few things.

- When a pebble is dropped in water producing a circular wave, the rate that it travels outward is the rate of the changing radius, correct? In other words, dr/dt?

Also, I have two questions I can't really figure out. Here they are:

1. The ends of a water trough are equilateral triangles whose sides are 2 m long. The length of the trough is 15m. Water is being poured into the trouth at the rate of 3m^3/h. Find the rate at which the water level is rising when the depth of the water is 1m.

2. A softball diamond has the shape of a square with sides 20 m long. Suppose a player is running from the first base to the second base at 7 m/s. Find the rate at which the distance between the player and home plate is changing when the player is 5m from the first base.

Thanks in advance for any help! Anything would be greatly appericiated =)

Physics news on Phys.org
Right, the rate the wave travels is outwards is the rate of the changing radius, dr/dt. Show some work for the other two questions.

AKG said:
Right, the rate the wave travels is outwards is the rate of the changing radius, dr/dt. Show some work for the other two questions.

Okay, so for the softball question I'm pretty sure I got that - the pyth theorem.. I got a speed of 1.7 m/s - I hope it's right (a confirmation would be good)

For the second question, I found the height of the triangles would be the sqrt(3) and the base to be 2, but not sure where to go from there. I'm not sure if it's right either.. Any confirmation about the height/base + hints?

And thank you for the confirmation about the dr/dt =)

You're right about the softball question.

There's no need to calculate the height of the trough. If x is the current height of the water, then you can express V in terms of x, and can in turn express x in terms of V. You want to find dx/dt when x = 1m, but dx/dt is just (dx/dV)(dV/dt). dV/dt is given, and dx/dV can be determined when you express x in terms of V.

By the way, the trough would be [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex] meters high, as you found, but that's irrelevant. You only need to find the rate of change when the water is 1m high. Since 1m < [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex]m, it wouldn't matter if the trough was 1.1m or 99999m high, since if you're filling water at a constant rate, then once the water reaches 1m high, it will be rising at a particular rate which clearly doesn't depend on how much higher the trough is. For an analogy, if you drop a rock, then assuming that acceleration due to gravity is constant, the speed at which it will be falling after 1 second doesn't depend on whether you drop it from 10m above the ground or 200m above the ground, i.e. it's speed after 1s doesn't depend on how much further it has left to fall. Same goes for filling up a trough.

Last edited:
AKG said:
You're right about the softball question.

There's no need to calculate the height of the trough. If x is the current height of the water, then you can express V in terms of x, and can in turn express x in terms of V. You want to find dx/dt when x = 1m, but dx/dt is just (dx/dV)(dV/dt). dV/dt is given, and dx/dV can be determined when you express x in terms of V.

By the way, the trough would be [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex] meters high, as you found, but that's irrelevant. You only need to find the rate of change when the water is 1m high. Since 1m < [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex]m, it wouldn't matter if the trough was 1.1m or 99999m high, since if you're filling water at a constant rate, then once the water reaches 1m high, it will be rising at a particular rate which clearly doesn't depend on how much higher the trough is. For an analogy, if you drop a rock, then assuming that acceleration due to gravity is constant, the speed at which it will be falling after 1 second doesn't depend on whether you drop it from 10m above the ground or 200m above the ground, i.e. it's speed after 1s doesn't depend on how much further it has left to fall. Same goes for filling up a trough.

I got a rate of Sqrt(3)/10 m/h, is that correct?
Thanks for the help!

Yes, that's right.

What is the concept of related rates?

The concept of related rates is when two or more variables are changing and their rates of change are related to each other through a mathematical equation. This involves finding the rate of change of one variable with respect to another variable.

How do you set up a related rates problem?

To set up a related rates problem, you first need to identify the variables that are changing and their rates of change. Then, you need to determine the equation that relates these variables. Finally, you can use implicit differentiation to find the rate of change of one variable with respect to another.

What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the derivative of a function that is not explicitly defined. It involves treating one variable as a function of another variable and differentiating both sides of the equation with respect to the independent variable.

How do you solve a related rates problem?

To solve a related rates problem, you need to follow the steps of setting up the problem, finding the equation that relates the variables, and using implicit differentiation to find the rate of change. Once you have the derivative, you can plug in the given values and solve for the unknown rate of change.

What are some common applications of related rates in real life?

Related rates is commonly used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. Some examples of real-life applications include calculating the changing volume of a melting ice cube, determining the rate of change of the area of a growing circle, and finding the rate of change of the price of a product with respect to its demand.