Invariant quantities for antimatter

In summary, the conversation touches upon the concept of antiparticles and their opposite properties, the confusion surrounding the term "reversed proper time," and Feynman's theory of positrons moving backwards in time. The discussion also mentions CPT symmetry and a paper by Bondi about negative mass.
actionintegral
Since antiparticles have reversed proper time, can I conclude that all invariants are reversed for antiparticles?

Physics news on Phys.org
a tumbleweed rolls by...

actionintegral said:
Since antiparticles have reversed proper time,..
What exactly do you mean by this? I can't see anything which would imply such an assertion. :confused:

There is really no such thing as an "anti-particle." The meaning of the term "anti-particle" refers to opposite properties of a particle. E.g. one could define the term "neutron" to refer to what we normally call a 'neutron' and then refer to the 'anti-neutron' as "neutron." Thus what we call the "anti-particle" refers merely the opposite of a given particle. I.e. the anti-particle of the anti-neutron is the neutron.

The term "reversed proper time" makes no sense. The phrase "proper time" refers to the time between two events as the time as measured by a clock which travels on a specified worldline between the two events. This is true of all tardyon's (i.e. particles which travel at v < c).

Perhaps you're confusing this with tachyons??

Pete

Gokul43201 said:
No, I think the OP is confused about CPT symmetry, or something along those lines - maybe even just the definition of the antiparticle of a given particle.
QUOTE]

Thank you for pointing out my confusion. Now maybe I can ask my question more intelligently.

I am referring specifically to Feynman's theory of positrons - that positrons they move backwards in time. Now that statement only makes sense if I am referring to the proper time of the positron. I also read that positrons have negative energy which I assume means negative rest mass.

I was referred to CPT symmetry but I am still reading about that.

actionintegral said:
I am referring specifically to Feynman's theory of positrons - that positrons they move backwards in time. Now that statement only makes sense if I am referring to the proper time of the positron.
I don't think Feynman said that positrons move back in time. I believe what he said was that one could view a positron as an electron which is moving backwards in time.

Pete

pmb_phy said:
I don't think Feynman said that positrons move back in time.
Pete

Yes, I think I made an oversimplification in my mind. Let's continue this
after I do some more learning.

There is an old paper by Bondi about negative mass. Since I only have negative money, can someone send it to me?

actionintegral said:
There is an old paper by Bondi about negative mass. Since I only have negative money, can someone send it to me?
Sure. PM your email address to me and I'll send it to you within a day or so (since I'll have to find it and then scan it and convert it to PDF).

Pete

pmb_phy said:
Sure. PM your email address to me and I'll send it to you within a day or so (since I'll have to find it and then scan it and convert it to PDF).
Pete

Please send it to actionintegral@yahoo.com

Much, Much obliged!

1. What are invariant quantities for antimatter?

Invariant quantities for antimatter refer to physical properties that remain constant regardless of the reference frame or observer. These quantities are essential for understanding the behavior and interactions of antimatter particles.

2. How are invariant quantities measured for antimatter?

Invariant quantities for antimatter are measured through a variety of experiments, including particle accelerators and collision experiments. Scientists also use mathematical equations and theories, such as the Standard Model, to calculate and predict these quantities.

3. What are some examples of invariant quantities for antimatter?

Some examples of invariant quantities for antimatter include mass, energy, charge, and spin. These quantities are essential for understanding the fundamental properties of antimatter particles and their interactions with other particles.

4. Why is understanding invariant quantities for antimatter important?

Understanding invariant quantities for antimatter is crucial for furthering our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. It also has practical applications, such as in medical imaging and nuclear energy, where antimatter interactions play a significant role.

5. Are there any differences in invariant quantities between matter and antimatter?

No, according to the current understanding of physics, invariant quantities are the same for both matter and antimatter. This is known as the principle of CPT symmetry, which states that the laws of physics are the same for particles and their antiparticles.