Evaluate Surface Integral f.n ds for Sphere x^2+y^2+z^2=a^2

In summary, the problem is to evaluate the double integral of f.n ds, where f=xi+yj-2zk and S is the surface of the sphere x^2+y^2+z^2=a^2 above the x-y plane. The normal to the surface can be found by switching to spherical coordinates or using the Divergence theorem. The problem can also be simplified by considering the symmetry of the vector function and the region of integration.
anand
Problem : Evaluate [double integral]f.n ds where f=xi+yj-2zk and S is the surface of the sphere x^2+y^2+z^2=a^2 above x-y plane.

My effort:: I know that the sphere's orthogonal projection has to be taken on the x-y plane,but I'm having trouble with the integration.Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculating flux integrals can be a bit tedious. Although some are very easy when you invoke the right theorem. Like this one.

anand said:
Problem : Evaluate [double integral]f.n ds where f=xi+yj-2zk and S is the surface of the sphere x^2+y^2+z^2=a^2 above x-y plane.

My effort:: I know that the sphere's orthogonal projection has to be taken on the x-y plane,but I'm having trouble with the integration.Please help!

you want to find f.n where n is obviously the normal to the surface .. find that first... the easiest way to do this is probably change to spherical coordinates...given the symmetry of the problem

Didn't we just have this question? Or was it also posted on a different board?

The vector function, f(x,y,z)= xi+ yj- 2zk, is obviously "anti-symmetric" about the origin: f(-x,-y,-z)= -(f(x,y,z)), while the region of integration, a sphere centered at the origin, is symmetric. What does that tell you?

Or you can use the "Divergence theorem" and integrate [itex]\nabla \cdot f[/itex] over the interior of the sphere, as Galileo suggested. Here [itex]\nabla \cdot f[/itex] is particularly simple.

1. What is a surface integral?

A surface integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the flux or flow of a vector field over a curved surface. It is a type of multiple integral, similar to the double integrals used to calculate the area under a curve in two dimensions.

2. What is the formula for evaluating a surface integral for a sphere?

The formula for evaluating a surface integral for a sphere is ∫∫S f.n ds = ∫∫D f(x,y,z) √(1+(fx)^2+(fy)^2) dA, where S represents the surface of the sphere, D represents the projection of the surface onto the xy-plane, and f(x,y,z) is the function being integrated.

3. How do you find the normal vector for a sphere?

The normal vector for a sphere can be found by taking the gradient of the equation for the sphere, which is given by f(x,y,z) = x^2+y^2+z^2-a^2. This results in the normal vector n = (2x, 2y, 2z).

4. What does the term "f.n" represent in the surface integral formula?

In the surface integral formula, f.n represents the dot product of the function f(x,y,z) and the normal vector n. This is used to account for the direction in which the flux is flowing over the surface.

5. How do you choose the limits of integration for a surface integral on a sphere?

The limits of integration for a surface integral on a sphere depend on the projection of the surface onto the xy-plane, which is represented by the region D. The limits of integration for D can be found by setting the equation of the sphere equal to z and solving for x and y. These values will then be used as the limits of integration for the double integral.